- 6 Months
- Undergrad Certificate
Industrial automation engineers use technology to improve, automate and streamline processes. Upon completion of this undergraduate certificate, you will have fundamental knowledge, skills, and understanding of the industrial automation engineering discipline. You will be able to apply fundamental mathematics, electrical circuit theory and analysis, process instrumentation and control, electrical control circuits and PLC programming.
Unfortunately, this course isn’t scheduled at the moment.
Please see our Professional Certificate of Competency in Earthing and Lightning Protection as an alternative. This course is available and the next intake date is shown on the linked page.
The field of engineering concerned with the study and application of process control and instrumentation is industrial automation engineering. Essential to our modern infrastructure and conveniences, Industrial Automation engineers employ their skills across a large number of specializations, including the plant, factory building automation, industrial design and consultation, operation/process instrumentation, control and robotics.
With this qualification, you will have acquired the essential knowledge which underpins both this and other fields of engineering.
You must complete 12 credit points comprising four core units. There are no electives in this program. The full-time program duration is six months over 1 semester (or part-time equivalent). For further study, graduates may consider EIT’s Bachelor of Science (Industrial Automation Engineering).
|Engineering Mathematics 1
|Electrical Circuit Theory and Analysis
|Process Instrumentation and Control
|Electrical Control Circuits and PLC Programming
Entry is available to applicants who hold one of the following:
- A Year 12 Australian Senior Certificate of Education (or equivalent for International Students), completed within the past 3 years, with a minimum score of 60% in Maths.
Applicants who have completed Year 12 (or equivalent for International Students) more than 3 years ago are required to also demonstrate 2 years of relevant work experience in the field of study applied for; OR
- A relevant Engineering AQF Certificate IV (or equivalent overseas qualification) with successful completion of all Maths units/modules and 2 years relevant work experience in the field of study applied for; OR
- An Engineering AQF Diploma (or higher) (or equivalent overseas qualification) with successful completion of all Maths units/modules.
English Language Proficiency Requirements:
Entry to this course requires demonstration of English language proficiency at the level of an IELTS overall score of at least 6.0 (with no individual band score less than 5.5).
The methods of satisfying these English language proficiency requirements are generally through (but not limited to):
- An Australian Senior Certificate of Education or equivalent
- A specified level of achievement in a recognised English language test, such as IELTS (or equivalent as outlined in the EIT Admissions Policy).
- Satisfactory completion of another tertiary course offered in English
- Work history in an organisation where English is the language of communication
Note: All applications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Please check the Documentation Guidelines for your application.
Like all Australian higher education providers and universities, EIT programs are accredited by the exacting standards of the Australian Government’s Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA). The Undergraduate Certificate is a new, formally recognized qualification that has been added to the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). Its indicative AQF equivalence is AQF level 6.
Find out more about country-specific accreditation and professional recognition.
This course is classified as Level 6 under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF).
- Students who have an Undergraduate Certificate in Industrial Instrumentation and PLC Programming can enhance their ability and knowledge in the industrial automation field, enabling them to gain and hold employment.
- Graduates will be able to work in a wide range of manufacturing, industrial and process engineering in junior, technical support or entry level role.
Further study pathway with EIT would be the Bachelor of Science (Industrial Automation Engineering) -> Master of Engineering (Industrial Automation) -> Doctor of Engineering
Our undergraduate certificates take six months to complete full time. Students are expected to spend approximately 10-15 hours per week per unit learning the program material and completing assessments. This includes attending tutorials.
You must submit your application at least one week prior to the start date to be considered for your desired intake.
A census date is the date at which an enrolment is considered to be final. Any withdrawal you make after the study period census date will incur an academic penalty (for example, a fail grade) and a financial penalty (for example, no refund of your student contribution or tuition fees). See our current census dates.
Any student has a right to appeal a decision of the Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) or any member of the institute’s staff. EIT has a comprehensive Policy on Appeals and Grievances to assist students.
Hear from our students
We are one of the only institutes in the world specializing in engineering.