This graduate certificate will equip you with the necessary skills to address the demands of the modern mechanical engineering industry. Students with a background in mechanical, instrumentation & control, electrical, or industrial plant and systems engineering will be particularly well-placed to benefit from this program as it is designed to prepare you for further career development in the mechanical design and maintenance industries. Upon completion of this program, you will gain skills and knowledge in the latest and developing technologies in mechanical engineering.
For a limited period the Australian Government is offering a number of Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) for eligible students for this program. This means that the fee for this course will be reduced from AU$4,760.00 to AU$500 (AU$125 per unit).
At a glance
- 6 Months
- Graduate Certificate
The Graduate Certificate in Mechanical Engineering addresses the specific core competencies and associated knowledge and aptitudes required of mechanical engineers. The program will provide you with the requisite skills in mechanical engineering technology and maintenance to take advantage of these growing needs in the industry. Ultimately the program will imbue graduates with the confidence required of professional and proficient mechanical engineers.
Employers hold those who possess these skills in high regard, and graduates can expect a significant advantage when interacting with employers, clients, consultants, and fellow engineering peers.
You must complete 12 credit points comprising four core units. There are no electives in this program. The program duration is six months across two terms, and you will study two units per term. For further study, graduates may consider EIT’s Master of Engineering (Mechanical).
|Unit Code||Subjects||Credit Points|
|MME501||Materials for Engineers||3|
|MME503||Industrial Hydraulics and Pneumatics||3|
|MME504||Pumps, Compressors, Turbines and Drives||3|
Applicants are required to:
- Hold a recognized bachelor degree (or above) in engineering or science in a congruent field of practice*,
- Have completed the equivalent of first-year Bachelor level mathematics, or are able to demonstrate recognized relevant work experience.
- Have an appropriate level of English Language Proficiency at an English pass level in an Australian Senior Certificate of Education, or an IELTS score of 6.0 (with no individual band less than 6.0)**, or equivalent as outlined in the EIT Admissions Policy.
Applicants who hold a bachelor’s degree in a non-congruent engineering field are required to demonstrate their prior learning and experience is equivalent to the entry requirements (exact positions and roles that will be considered relevant are to be decided by each specialisation and will be considered on a case-by-case basis by the EIT Admissions Committee).
Applicants who do not hold a recognized bachelor’s degree are required to demonstrate their prior learning and experience is equivalent to this qualification. A minimum of an Australian Advanced Diploma (or equivalent) in Engineering and 10 years of technical work experience at a technologist level or above in a relevant engineering field is required for an application to be considered (exact positions and roles that will be considered relevant are to be decided by each specialization and will be considered on a case-by-case basis by the EIT Admissions Committee) ***.
- All applicants must have evidence of engineering exposure in their degree and/or work experience.
- Students seeking admission via a work experience pathway may be required to undertake additional diagnostic mathematics testing.
- All applications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- All documents submitted as part of your application must be certified.
* Congruent field of practice means one of the following with adequate Mechanical Engineering content (fields not listed below to be considered by the Dean and the Admissions Committee on a case-by-case basis):
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical and Material Systems
- Mechatronic Systems
- Production Engineering
- Manufacturing and Management Systems
- Industrial Automation Engineering
- Instrumentation, Control, and Automation
**Applicants may have a maximum of one individual band of 5.5 and be granted entry subject to the provision of English language support by EIT
*** Applicants who enter and complete this qualification without holding a prior Bachelor’s Degree and go on to complete an EIT Masters Degree may not be eligible for Engineers Australia recognition. However, students can lodge a personal application with Engineers Australia to be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Please select the country you live in from the drop-down menu to see the current fees in your region.
Commonwealth Supported Places
The Australian Government is currently offering a limited number of Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) for eligible students for this program which means they will subsidize part of your program fees which makes the cost to students much lower. If you are eligible for a CSP your subsidized course fees will be AU$500 (AU$125 per unit).
Learn more about payment methods, including payment terms & conditions and additional non-tuition fees.
Like all Australian higher education providers and universities, EIT programs are accredited by the exacting standards of the Australian Government’s Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA). This Graduate Certificate is a formally recognized qualification under the Australian Qualifications Framework.
Find out more about country-specific accreditation and professional recognition.
Potential job roles include engineering and management positions in the following areas of expertise:
- Mechanical engineering design and consultation
- Supply chain management, quality assurance, and sales
- Operations, field services, and technical support
- Oil & gas
- Industrial project management and business development
- Maintenance and condition monitoring
- Automotive engineering
- Aeronautical engineering
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Cities/councils and water corporation
Our graduate certificates take six months to complete. We deliver our online graduate certificates on a part-time intensive basis. Part-time Students are expected to spend approximately 10-15 hours per week per unit learning the program material and completing assessments. This includes attending tutorials.
Applications are open for both our upcoming intakes. You must submit your application at least one week prior to the start date to be considered for your desired intake.
A census date is the date at which an enrolment is considered to be final. Any withdrawal you make after the study period census date will incur an academic penalty (for example, a fail grade) and a financial penalty (for example, no refund of your student contribution or tuition fees). See our current census dates.
Any student has a right to appeal a decision of the Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) or any member of the institute’s staff. EIT has a comprehensive Policy on Appeals and Grievances to assist students.
Hear from our students
We are one of the only institutes in the world specializing in engineering.