- 3 Months
- Online Electrical Engineering
- 6 November 2023
- Professional Certificate
- Electrical Engineering
The course mainly focusses on Earthing, Bonding, Lightning, and Surge Protection. The objectives cover the basic principles and importance of earthing, how to test/earth certain equipment, the different types of earthing system in depth, followed by lightning and surge protection on various locations.
Earthing and Lightning Protection Course Benefits:
- Receive a Certificate of Completion from EIT.
- Learn from well-known faculty and industry experts from around the globe.
- Flexibility of attending anytime from anywhere, even when you are working full-time.
- Interact with industry experts during the webinars and get the latest updates/announcements on the subject.
- Experience a global learning with students from various backgrounds and experience which is a great networking opportunity.
- Gain fundamental knowledge about Earthing, Bonding, Lightning, and Surge Protection.
- Study the basic principles of earthing, types and components of earthing and surge protection systems.
- Learn the latest industry standards and procedures for earthing and lightning protection.
- Get information on the best practices on earthing for mitigation against effects of faults and lightning strikes.
The course will commence by defining earthing and reviewing basic earthing needs followed by the basic principles of earthing. The components of earthing system and types of earthing system will be discussed to get a deeper understanding of earthing application. Adding to this, Earthing in Substation and UPS Earthing will be reviewed.
The second part of the course gives an exposure to Lightning. It discusses Lightning effects, including the vital topics such as Lightning safety, Lightning protection of structures, and Lightning protection of electrical lines and substations, which are crucial to protecting various components from lightning and its adverse effects. Adding to the Lightning, the topic Surge Protection will be explained, which involves the protection of electrical lines from other sources of lightning such as surges, transient voltages, electrical faults, switching, etc. Towards the end Maintenance of lightning protection systems, Safety regulations and Standards will be studied.
Module 1: Introduction and Earthing Basics
- Objectives of earthing
- Defining earthing
- Principle of earthing
Module 2: Components of Earthing Systems
- Earth electrode (rods, tapes, etc.)
- Main earthing terminals or bars
- Earthing conductors
- Protective conductors
- Equipotential bonding conductors
Module 3: Types of Earthing and Earthing Systems
- Solid-earthed neutral
- Unearthed neutral
- Resistance-earthed neutral. Low-resistance earthing. High-resistance earthing.
- Reactance-earthed neutral
- Using earthing transformers
- MEN system
Module 4: Substation Earthing
- Need of earthing in substation
- Earthing of insulator
- Earthing of current transformer
- Earthing of isolator
- Earthing design
Module 5: Earthing in UPS
- Points to be taken care while earthing UPS
- Transformer-based/transformer-less UPS with bypass
- Transformer-based UPS without bypass
- Transformer-less UPS without bypass
- UPS with Isolated bypass
Module 6: Lightning Physics and Effects
- The physics of lightning
- Effect of lightning strike on objects on the ground
- Indirect effects of lightning
- Effect of lightning strike on electrical installation
Module 7: Introduction To Lightning
- Lightning protection basics
- Lightning protection system for a building or structure
- Lightning detection and warning systems
- Role of grounding in lightning protection systems
Module 8: Safety Regulations and Standards
- Human safety aspects
- Importance of lightning detection
- Standards and Codes of Practice
- Risk of lightning strike – statistics
- Risk assessment approach
- Personnel safety measures against lightning strike
Module 9: Lightning Protection of Structures
- Basics of lightning protection of structures
- Lightning protection levels
- Lightning protection system design approach
- Main components of a lightning protection system
- Materials used in lightning protection systems
Module 10: Lightning Protection of Electrical Lines and Substations
- Effect of lightning strike on electrical installations
- Protection of electrical lines
- Protection of electrical substations
Module 11: Surge Protection
- Surges and surge protection
- Principle of surge protection
- Surge protection devices
- Positioning and selection of lightning/surge arrestor
Module 12: Maintenance of Lightning Protection Systems
- Introduction to lightning protection systems maintenance
- Need for maintenance
- Maintenance activities
- Review questions/exercises
This course is designed for personnel who want to understand earthing, its types, components of earthing system, and lightning protection. Those who will benefit the most from this course include the following:
- Electrical and Instrumentation Technicians
- Electrical Engineers
- Instrumentation and Control Engineers
- Electrical Inspectors
- Consulting Engineers
- Project Engineers
- Maintenance Engineers
- Electrical Contractors
- Safety Professionals
- Consulting Engineers
- Power System Protection and Control Engineers
- Building Service Designers
- Data Systems Planners and Managers
To obtain a certificate of completion for EIT’s Professional Certificate of Competency, students must achieve a 65% attendance rate at the live, online fortnightly webinars. Detailed summaries/notes can be submitted in lieu of attendance. In addition, students must obtain a mark of 60% in the set assignments which could take the form of written assignments and practical assignments. Students must also obtain a mark of 100% in quizzes. If a student does not achieve the required score, they will be given an opportunity to resubmit the assignment to obtain the required score.
Please select the country you live in from the drop-down menu to see the current fees in your region.
Learn more about payment methods, including payment terms & conditions and additional non-tuition fees.
Deepak Pais is a highly experienced electrical engineer who has worked across the globe. His career has spanned multiple industries, including zinc mining and smelting, marine and logistics, automobile, and electricity distribution.
Learn about our instructors.
- Power System Engineers
- Principal/Senior Earthing Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- Power Engineer
- Senior Electrical Designer
- Earthing & Bonding Engineer
- Instrumentation & Control Engineer
- Installation Engineer
- Consulting Engineer
You are expected to spend approximately 5-8 hours per week learning the course content. This includes attending fortnightly webinars that run for about 90 minutes to facilitate class discussion and allow you to ask questions. This professional development program is delivered online and has been designed to fit around full-time work. It will take three months to complete.
Registrations are open for our upcoming intakes. Please ensure you book your place at least one week before the start date of the program.
Make an Enquiry
Other ways to contact us
We are one of the only institutes in the world specializing in engineering.