Graduates will have the knowledge and skills to contribute to the capacity of civil and structural engineering and related industries to maintain their competitiveness in a global marketplace through the application of latest technologies, value adding to existing products, process and services and the development of new, sustainable and innovative solutions.
• Skills in the latest engineering technologies
• Practical guidance from experts in the field
• Global networking contacts in the industry
• Improved career prospects and income
• A world class Advanced Diploma of Civil and Structural Engineering
At a glance
- 24 Months
- Advanced Diploma
- Civil Engineering
This program aims to impart the necessary civil and structural engineering skills, and all the theory covered is tied to a practical outcome. Eight threads run through the program to give you maximum, functional coverage in the field of civil and structural engineering. These threads comprise of environmental issues, engineering technologies, drawing, 2D and 3D CAD design, building materials, roads, steel, concrete, pavement, drainage, soil, water supply and sewerage, construction sites, and engineering management.
This practical program avoids too much emphasis on theory. The lecturers presenting this advanced diploma are highly experienced engineers who have worked in the civil and structural engineering industry. The delivery methodology — live and interactive webinars with the use of state-of-the-art technologies such as remote and virtual laboratories and simulation software — ensures you graduate with cutting-edge skills that are valued by employers around the world.
These units cover a range of aspects to provide you with maximum practical coverage in the field of Civil and Structural Engineering.
|Module||Unit / Module Code||Unit / Module Title||Duration|
|1||VU22678||Use building information modelling (BIM) technology for a project||2 Weeks|
|2||DCSBCE602||Use basic CAD in engineering||2 Weeks|
|3||DCSGRE603||Use graphics in engineering||2 Weeks|
|4||DCSBME604||Use basic mathematics in engineering||6 Weeks|
|5||DCSCON605||Use basic construction in engineering||3 Weeks|
|6||DCSPHY606||Use physics in engineering||3 Weeks|
|7||DCSSTA607||Use statics in engineering||4 Weeks|
|8||DCSMAT608||Use materials in engineering||2 Weeks|
|9||DCSOEE609||Operate in an engineering environment||2 Weeks|
|10||DCSMTH610||Use mathematics in engineering||4 Weeks|
|11||DCSBSD611||Produce basic steel drawings||3 Weeks|
|12||DCSBSE612||Use basic soils in engineering||3 Weeks|
|13||DCSBFE613||Use basic fluids in engineering||3 Weeks|
|14||DCSSUR614||Use surveying in engineering||3 Weeks|
|15||DCSSOM615||Use strength of materials in engineering||4 Weeks|
|16||DCSCAD616||Use CAD in engineering||2 Weeks|
|17||DCSBCD617||Produce basic concrete drawings||2 Weeks|
|18||DCSENV618||Use basic environmental concepts in engineering||2 Weeks|
|19||DCSBSA619||Use basic structural analysis in engineering||3 Weeks|
|20||VU22553||Produce advanced engineering drawings for a steel structure||2 Weeks|
|21||VU22493||Produce drawings to enable urban road construction||2 Weeks|
|22||VU22492||Produce engineering drawings for a rural road||3 Weeks|
|23||DCSSOL623||Use soils in engineering||3 Weeks|
|24||DCSFLE624||Use fluids in engineering||2 Weeks|
|25||VU22552||Produce advanced engineering drawings for a reinforced concrete structure||3 Weeks|
|26||DCSSAE626||Use structural analysis in engineering||3 Weeks|
|27||DCSCAE627||Use 3D CAD in engineering||2 Weeks|
|28||DPEFPE619||Apply the fundamentals of professional engineering||3 Weeks|
|29||VU22494||Produce engineering drawings for a stormwater reticulation scheme||2 Weeks|
|30||VU22549||Produce an engineering design for a sewerage reticulation scheme||2 Weeks|
|31||VU22547||Produce an engineering drainage design of pipes and culverts||3 Weeks|
|32||VU22550||Produce an engineering design for a reinforced concrete structure||2 Weeks|
|33||VU22543||Produce an advanced engineering design for a reinforced concrete structure||2 Weeks|
|34||VU22551||Produce an engineering design for a steel structure||4 Weeks|
|35||VU22544||Produce an advanced engineering design for a steel structure||4 Weeks|
As engineering paraprofessionals, graduates will be able to:
- Apply effective design, drawing, testing and surveying techniques to civil and structural projects
- Analyse project requirements using appropriate mathematics and physics computations
- Identify relevant properties of key aspects in the physical environment and in materials associated with projects
- Evaluate typical contemporary issues in civil and structural engineering
- Formulate engineering solutions to typical scenarios related to civil and structural engineering
- Implement and utilise engineering solutions to diverse fields in any organisation
- Analyse, diagnose, plan, design and execute solutions with respect to urban roads, storm water and reticulation schemes, steel structures and reinforced concrete structures
- Prepare complex technical information and concepts to plan, communicate and implement solutions to a range of engineering environments and contexts
- Integrate and solve interdisciplinary engineering systems
- Manage complex projects on time and within budget
- Manage self-autonomy within an organization, to achieve objectives that have outputs based on engineering applications.
Student applications are considered on a case-by-case basis and the following minimum entry requirements are to be strictly adhered to:
Online delivery entry requirements:
• Applicants must have at least an Australian Year 12 or Cert III trade qualification (or equivalent) in a related field;
• They must have at least 2 years’ work experience in a related field
• At least 4 years’ work experience in a related field – subject to acceptance of an application for Credit to Entry **
• Satisfactory English language proficiency at an English pass level in an Australian Senior Certificate of Education (or equivalent); OR
A specified level of achievement in a recognised English language test such as IELTS (or equivalent) at a score of at least 5.5 (with no individual band score less than 5.0), or equivalent; OR
• Satisfactory completion of another course offered by EIT, or by another tertiary institution, in English.
Please select the country you live in from the drop-down menu to see the current fees in your region.
Learn more about payment methods, including payment terms & conditions and additional non-tuition fees.
This qualification is officially accredited within the Australian Qualifications Framework by the Training Accreditation Council (TAC), and EIT is approved by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) for delivery by EIT in all Australian states. EIT delivers this program to students worldwide.
Find out more about country-specific accreditation and professional recognition.
- Site supervisor
- Senior trade managers
- Trade workers
- Construction managers
- Maintenance engineers or supervisors
- Leading hands
- Consulting engineers
- Instrument fitters and Instrumentation engineers
- Consulting engineers
You are expected to spend approximately 10-15 hours per week learning the program material and completing assessments. This includes attending weekly webinars that run for about 90 minutes to facilitate class discussion and allow you to ask questions. This program is run online on a part-time basis and has been designed to fit around full-time work. It will take 24 months to complete.
We understand that sometimes work commitments and personal circumstances can get in the way of your studies, so if at any point you feel that you are struggling with the pace of the course or finding a particular unit challenging, you are encouraged to contact your designated learning support officer for assistance.
Applications are open for our upcoming intakes. Please ensure your application is submitted at least one week before the start date of the program.
Any student has a right to appeal a decision of the Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) or any member of the institute’s staff. EIT has a comprehensive Policy on Appeals and Grievances to assist students.
- DCS12A – 52873WA Advanced Diploma of Civil and Structural Engineering
- DCS13A – 52873WA Advanced Diploma of Civil and Structural Engineering
- DCS14 – 52873WA Advanced Diploma of Civil and Structural Engineering
- DCS15 – 52873WA Advanced Diploma of Civil and Structural Engineering
- DCS16 – 52873WA Advanced Diploma of Civil and Structural Engineering
- DCS17 – 52873WA Advanced Diploma of Civil and Structural Engineering
Make a Course Enquiry
Hear from our students
We are one of the only institutes in the world specializing in engineering.