Engineers are responsible for designing new systems and solving problems for a wide range of fields like mining, oil and gas, construction, power generation, manufacturing, automotive, marine and agriculture. Upon completion of this undergraduate certificate, you will have fundamental knowledge, skills, and understanding of these foundational engineering subjects. You will be able to apply fundamental principles of mathematics, electrical circuits, dynamics, mechanics, engineering design and drawing. You will be able to demonstrate scientific, mathematical, contextual factors and design practice knowledge that has been contextualized for engineering applications.
Unfortunately, this course isn’t scheduled at the moment.
Please see our Undergraduate in Civil Engineering OR Undergraduate Certificate in Electrical Engineering as an alternative. These courses are available and the next intake date is shown on the linked page.
At a glance
- 6 Months
This program is specifically designed to provide a fundamental skill set that is useful and applicable to almost every engineering discipline in the world, including mechanical, electrical, civil, construction, mechatronics, agricultural, marine, aeronautical, automotive, and many more. The undergraduate certificate provides you with cutting-edge skills that are valuable in the workplace as well as further studies in any engineering discipline.
With this qualification, you will have acquired the fundamental knowledge which underpins wide variety of fields of engineering.
You must complete 12 credit points comprising four core units. There are no electives in this program. The full-time program duration is six months over 1 semester (or part-time equivalent). For further study, graduates may consider any of the EIT’s Bachelor of Science (Engineering) courses.
|Unit Code||Subjects||Credit Points|
|BSC101C||Engineering Mathematics 1||3|
|BSC102C||Electrical Circuit Theory and Analysis||3|
|BSC103C||Engineering Dynamics and Mechanics||3|
|BSC203C||Engineering Design and Drawing||3|
Entry is available to applicants who hold one of the following:
- A Year 12 Australian Senior Certificate of Education (or equivalent for International Students), completed within the past 3 years, with a minimum score of 60% in Maths.
Applicants who have completed Year 12 (or equivalent for International Students) more than 3 years ago are required to also demonstrate 2 years of relevant work experience in the field of study applied for; OR
- A relevant Engineering AQF Certificate IV (or equivalent overseas qualification) with successful completion of all Maths units/modules and 2 years relevant work experience in the field of study applied for; OR
- An Engineering AQF Diploma (or higher) (or equivalent overseas qualification) with successful completion of all Maths units/modules.
English Language Proficiency Requirements:
Entry to this course requires demonstration of English language proficiency at the level of an IELTS overall score of at least 6.0 (with no individual band score less than 5.5).
The methods of satisfying these English language proficiency requirements are generally through (but not limited to):
- An Australian Senior Certificate of Education or equivalent
- A specified level of achievement in a recognised English language test, such as IELTS (or equivalent as outlined in the EIT Admissions Policy).
- Satisfactory completion of another tertiary course offered in English
- Work history in an organisation where English is the language of communication
Note: All applications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
All documents submitted as part of your application must be certified.
Please select the country you live in from the drop-down menu to see the current fees in your region.
Learn more about payment methods, including payment terms & conditions and additional non-tuition fees.
Like all Australian higher education providers and universities, EIT programs are accredited by the exacting standards of the Australian Government’s Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA). The Undergraduate Certificate is a new, formally recognized qualification that has been added to the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). Its indicative AQF equivalence is AQF level 6.
Find out more about country-specific accreditation and professional recognition.
- Students who have an undergraduate certificate in engineering foundations are able to enhance their ability and knowledge in the engineering field, enabling them to further their engineering pathway.
- Graduates will be able to undertake work in a wide range of manufacturing, renewable, power, industrial, mechanical, civil, chemical, military, mineral process and mining industries in junior, technical support or entry level role.
Further study pathway with EIT would be the Bachelor of Science (Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Automation, Civil and Structural Engineering) -> Master of Engineering (Electrical Systems, Mechanical, Civil and Structural or Industrial Automation) -> Doctor of Engineering
Our undergraduate certificates take six months to complete full time. Students are expected to spend approximately 10-15 hours per week per unit learning the program material and completing assessments. This includes attending tutorials.
You must submit your application at least one week prior to the start date to be considered for your desired intake.
A census date is the date at which an enrolment is considered to be final. Any withdrawal you make after the study period census date will incur an academic penalty (for example, a fail grade) and a financial penalty (for example, no refund of your student contribution or tuition fees). See our current census dates.
Any student has a right to appeal a decision of the Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) or any member of the institute’s staff. EIT has a comprehensive Policy on Appeals and Grievances to assist students.
Make a Course Enquiry
Hear from our students
We are one of the only institutes in the world specializing in engineering.