In this interactive 3 month LIVE ONLINE course, you will:
- Have the ability and knowledge to create 3D models
- Receive a 3D Print of your modelled parts (mailed to your address)*
- Learn about engineering design focus: mechanics and dynamics
- Participate in a step-by-step practical development
- Receive tips and tricks for proper design and 3D printing of designs
- Have engineering CAD design experience using modern software tools
- Gain skills in using existing open source designs
- Receive tuition from an expert
- Learn the do’s and don’ts of 3D printing
The recent developments and commercialisation of 3D printers has made the topic of 3D modelling and printing very popular. Historically, it was mainly used for large industrial applications, with companies charging premium rates in getting a rapid prototype out to customers. In the present day, the cost of 3D printers has become affordable to small business and individuals alike. Not only is it being used by hobbyists and general public, but by engineers and design-houses to quickly manufacture their own prototypes. You can even manufacture replacement parts for hard-to-get items all within a matter of hours, or even minutes. Thus, having the skill and the know-how to design and print 3D parts has become crucial for the modern-day engineer or designer.
This practical, online course covers core components of 3D design and 3D printing and will provide you with the tools to tackle design projects with confidence. It starts with a review of the fundamentals of 3D printers, their history, types and functions.
You will be introduced to Computer Aided Design methodologies, and guided through the development of 3D modelled parts, assemblies and the general movement clearances and design principles. The course also provides a basic introduction to material properties, design for manufacture and cost optimisation.
Finally, you will be given the opportunity to design a basic scale model with movable parts for printing using a 3D printer in our remote laboratory.
WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE:
This course covers core components of 3D design and 3D printing and will provide you with the tools and knowledge to tackle design projects with confidence. The course commences with a review of the fundamentals of 3D printers, the history, types, and functioning. Furthermore, the concepts of 3D design will be introduced, starting with drawings, part models, and assemblies, all the way to contact and movement simulations. The design consideration for 3D printing will be discussed, with the opportunity given to 3D print the various parts. Finally examples and case studies will be introduced. You will also receive:
- Real 3D printed parts, with printouts of the practicals.
- Parts printed will be mailed to your registered address
- Work using a 3D design software package, ready to go (no need to install or buy anything)
- Step-by-step practical model development and printing.
Throughout the course, you will use Computer Aided Design (CAD) software to design 3D models of various parts of a miniature design project. These multiple 3D parts will be used to create a 3D assembly of the complete design project, to test functioning and part interaction. The interaction will be simulated and animated, to test surface part compatibility and fit. Finally the assembly will be exported to relevant files for 3D printing. A real, 3D Print of the assembly will be made, and mailed back to you for personal showcasing. You will have access to our remote labs, with the software installed, for further development.
WHO WILL BENEFIT?
This course is designed for individuals who want to understand and build techniques required to design and print 3D parts for rapid prototyping in industrial and other environments as productively and economically as possible. No previous programming skills or development know-how required. Individuals with a drive for innovation, and interest in staying ahead of the curve with modern resources, would also benefit, including those involved in:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Product Development
- Rapid prototyping
- 3D Modelling
- 3D designing
- Commercial product developers,
- General public,
Introducing 3D printing
About 3D printers
What is 3D printing and what can be made
Technical printer functioning
Practical session: Accessing Remote Labs and Getting to know the CAD software
3D Design considerations
Refinement, repairs, examples and close-out
Post Process Applications
Loading files and modifications
STL repairs and corrections
Examples and case studies
Review design and mailing
Getting ready for design
Introduction to CAD and solid modelling
Sketching and 2D drawings
Basic 3D modelling techniques
Shaping (Extrude, Bevel, etc.)
Practical session: 3D part modelling
3D Design assemblies and animation
Explode / collapse
Layout and Exporting for printing
Practical session: 3D assembly creation and export for printing
Best practice using new materials
Relevant to each application
Practical session: 3D printing and mailing
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of Online Learning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Learning Support Officer for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of Online Learning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT Online Learning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Learning Support Officer.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.