- Course at a Glance
- Code: CSS
- Course Length: 3 Months
In this interactive 3 month LIVE ONLINE course, you will learn:
- Fundamentals of risk assessment and the role of safety regulations
- Process hazard study methods including HAZOP
- Principles of risk reduction by Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS)
- The differences between a basic control system and an SIS
- The roles of standards IEC 61508 and IEC 61511
- The principles and application of the safety life cycle for project management
- The meaning and implications of Safety Integrity Levels (SILs)
- How to use fault tree analysis to predict accident rates and failure rates
- How SIL targets are determined
- The role of alarms in safety critical applications
- How to design the SIS to meet IEC requirements for SIL targets
- Key features of safety certified PLCs
- Understand failure modes and the concepts of fault tolerance
- How to calculate failure probabilities for single and redundant SIS designs
- How to select instruments and controllers suitable for safety systems
- How to manage the application software project for your safety system
- Methods for avoidance of spurious trips
- How to optimise proof testing intervals
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of Online Learning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Learning Support Officer for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of Online Learning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT Online Learning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Learning Support Officer.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.