- Course at a Glance
- Code: MOG
- Course Length: 2 Years
In this accredited and prestigious LIVE ONLINE program, you will gain:
- Skills and know-how in the latest and developing technologies in electrical and instrumentation in oil and gas
- Practical guidance and feedback from electrical and instrumentation experts from around the world
- Live knowledge from the extensive experience of expert instructors, rather than from just theoretical information gained from books and college
- Credibility and respect as the local electrical and instrumentation in oil and gas expert in your firm
- Global networking contacts in the industry
- Improved career choices and income
- A valuable and accredited Master of Engineering (Electrical and Instrumentation in Oil and Gas)** qualification
The Engineering Institute of Technology is pleased to bring you the Master of Engineering (Electrical and Instrumentation in Oil and Gas)**
** A note regarding recognition of this program in the Australian education system: EIT is the owner of this program. The qualification is officially accredited by the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA). EIT delivers this program to students worldwide.
This Master Degree (or Graduate Diploma) is an academically accredited program by the Australian Government agency (TEQSA) and does not currently offer entry-to-practice to Engineers Australia - Professional Engineering status. Engineers Australia are considering this and other programs for those students desiring professional status (e.g. CPEng). The outcome of this review may or may not result in a student gaining chartered professional status if he or she does not already possess this. However, it is recommended that you directly approach your local professional engineering body for an individual assessment and/or recognition.
For more information please visit: https://www.eit.edu.au/accreditation-international-standing-for-online-engineering-training.
The Master of Engineering (Electrical and Instrumentation in Oil and Gas) is a comprehensive qualification for Design, Installation, Commissioning and Maintenance Engineers who are looking for a career in the onshore and offshore oil and gas industry. The course addresses the specific core competencies and associated underpinning knowledge required for the position of Principal Engineer.
There are twelve units in the degree which cover electrical & instrumentation (E&I) engineering, its design and the management of E&I personnel. Other topics include process control, process safety lifecycle management and the safety integrity of facilities. Power engineering, maintenance management and specialist areas such as emergency shutdown systems, fire and gas are also covered. The course is rounded off with a unit on project management.
The Masters project thesis, as the capstone of the course, requires a high level of personal autonomy and purpose; it reinforces the knowledge gained during the degree. As a significant research component of the course, this project requires students to examine and explore their subjects, make critical evaluations and apply their knowledge and skill. It aims to prepare and enable students to critique and potentially enhance current professional practice in the Oil and Gas industry.
Entry Requirements: Master of Engineering (Electrical and Instrumentation in Oil and Gas)
To gain entry into this program, applicants need one of the following:
a) a recognized 3-year bachelor degree* in an engineering qualification in a congruent** field of practice.
b) an EIT Bachelor of Science (Engineering) degree* in a congruent** field of practice.
c) a 4-year Bachelor of Engineering qualification (or equivalent), that is recognized under the Washington Accord or Engineers Australia, in a congruent**, or a different field of practice at the discretion of the Admissions Committee.
d) a 4-year Bachelor of Engineering qualification (or equivalent)* that is not recognized under the Washington Accord, in a congruent** field of practice to this program.
An appropriate level of English Language Proficiency equivalent to an English pass level in an Australian Senior Certificate of Education, or an IELTS score of 6.0 (with no individual band less than 6.0), or equivalent as outlined in the EIT Admissions Policy.HE
* With integrated compulsory 12-week professional industry experience, training or project work of which 6 weeks are directly supervised by a professional/eligible professional engineer as determined by EIT.
** Congruent field of practice means one of the following with adequate Electrical and Instrumentation in Oil and Gas content (fields not listed below to be considered by the Dean and the Admissions Committee on a case-by-case basis):
- Electronic and Communication Systems
- Instrumentation, Control and Automation
- Industrial Automation
- Industrial Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Process Engineering
- Mechatronic Systems
- Production Engineering
Note: If applicants do not meet the above requirements they are welcome to apply in writing to the Admissions Committee.
Maths Bridging Test/Exam
Maths bridging test/exam (non-proctored/invigilated): to be completed by all Higher Education students (online and on-campus) during orientation week, to be administered through Moodle. If a student fails the initial test they must complete EIT’s 3 week bridging course (online) and then take the test again (non-proctored/invigilated). If the student fails again they will be considered a student at risk and managed in accordance with EIT’s Student at Risk policy.
Who Will Benefit from this Prestigious Program
Those seeking to achieve advanced know-how and expertise in Electrical and Instrumentation in Oil and Gas, including but not limited to:
Electrical Engineers and Electricians
Maintenance Engineers and Supervisors
Energy Management Consultants
Automation and Process Engineers
Oil and Gas Engineers
Instrument Fitters and Instrumentation Engineers
Chemical and Mechanical Engineers
Instrument and Process Control Technicians
Students must complete 48 credit points comprising 12 core units and one (1) capstone Thesis. There are no electives in this program. The program duration is two years full time, or equivalent. Subjects will be delivered over four (4) terms per year, and students will take 2 subjects per term. There will be a short break between years.
|Year||Term||Unit Code||Subjects||Credit Points|
|Year 1||Term 1||MOG501 |
Introduction to Oil and Gas
|Year 1||Term 2||MOG503 |
Process Control Systems
Power Engineering Practice
|Year 1||Term 3||MOG505 |
Process Safety Lifecycle Management
|Year 1||Term 4||MOG507 |
Emergency Shutdown Systems
Fire and Gas Systems
|Year 2||Term 1||MXX501/601 |
Engineering Practice and Key Research Methods
Professional Engineering Management
|Year 2||Term 2||MOG603 |
Reliability & Maintenance Management
Power Management Systems
|Year 2||Term 3 & 4||ME700|| |
Project Thesis (taken over 2 terms)
* Graduate Diploma of Engineering (Electrical and Instrumentation in Oil and Gas): Students who elect to exit the program after successfully completing all of the first year units, as outlined above, can opt to receive EIT's Graduate Diploma of Engineering (Electrical and Instrumentation in Oil and Gas). If students wish to finalize the Master qualification after exiting at Grad Dip level, they will need to re-enrol and relinquish the Graduate Diploma testamur.
During the program you will participate in weekly interactive sessions with the lecturers and other participants from around the world. Each unit's weekly live tutorial will last 60 to 90 minutes. We take student availability into consideration wherever possible before scheduling webinar times. Please refer to ‘When will the sessions take place?’ in the Frequently Asked Questions. All you need to participate is an adequate Internet connection, speakers and, if possible, a microphone.
The software package and setup details will be sent to you prior to the first webinar.
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of eLearning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Learning Support Officer for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of eLearning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT eLearning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Learning Support Officer.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.