- Course at a Glance
- Code: CTW
- Course Length: 3 Months
In this interactive 3 month LIVE ONLINE course, you will learn how to:
- Systematically design and write accurate and comprehensive technical specifications
- Write realistic specifications, thereby improving project management and performance
- Write clear and concise formal reports, equipment manuals, and other technical documentation
- Develop effective communication with technical as well as non-technical staff at all levels (from top management within the organization to the end-user in the home environment)
- Brainstorm and identify technical problems and solutions
- Collect, organize, analyse and evaluate information
- Transfer technical information into powerful graphs, flowcharts, and tables
- Translate technical documents into captivating oral presentations
Researching and preparing technical documents, especially those including technical specifications, calls for much effort and time. This course is designed to give you step by step guidance to writing these documents in a professional manner, for your target audience, and in a clear way. You will learn to write clear and concise formal reports, equipment manuals, and other technical documentation.
The course will demonstrate techniques to establishing more effective communication between technical and non-technical staff and foster skills relating to problem identification and solutions, plus enhancing skills in information seeking, research and organizing collected data in a non-conflicting, unambiguous manner.
It will also cover concepts related to technical writing, the preparation process, the use of language to communicate meaning, elements of a good technical document, writing technical specifications, presenting documents, and communicating technical presentations.
After completing this course, you will be able to systematically design and write accurate and comprehensive technical specifications, therefore improving project management and performance.
MODULE 1: INTRODUCTION TO TECHNICAL WRITING
What is technical writing? What makes it unique?
Accuracy, Brevity and Clarity (ABCs of technical writing)
Categories of readers
Expressing Vs Impressing
MODULE 2: THE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS
Preparing to write
Organizing the writing
Editing and revision
MODULE 3: USE OF LANGUAGE AND WORDS
Clarifying the writing
Choice of vocabulary
Simplifying the writing
MODULE 4: THE ELEMENTS OF TECHNICAL WRITING
MODULE 5: WRITING OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF TECHNICAL REPORTS
Structure of report
MODULE 6: WRITING OF OTHER TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS
Technical memo and background reports
User manuals and maintenance manuals
MODULE 7: OVERVIEW OF DESIGN (TECHNICAL) SPECIFICATIONS
Specifications and design
Understanding the problem and the development of engineering specifications
MODULE 8: TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION-PREREQUISITES TO WRITING
Planning to write the specification
Preparing the specification
Basic specification information
Organizing input from different specialists and sources
Structure of technical specifications
MODULE 9: WRITING OF TECHNICAL SPECIFCATIONS - 1
Different types of technical specifications
Various uses of technical specifications
Creating a specification template
Writing the specification
MODULE 10: WRITING OF TECHNICAL SPECIFCATIONS - 2
Vetting the specification
Errors in specifications
Specification approval and authorization
Do’s and don’ts of specification writing
MODULE 11: PRESENTATION ASPECTS
Appearance of the document
Text and design
Most common formats of graphics
Tips for using illustrations/graphics
Transferring information from notes to graphics/graphics to notes
MODULE 12: ORAL DELIVERY OF TECHNICAL PRESENTATIONS
What is communication?
Motivation and attention
Preparing your presentation
Make a positive impact
Using presentation aids effectively
Maximizing delivery impact
Handling difficult situations
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of Online Learning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Learning Support Officer for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of Online Learning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT Online Learning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Learning Support Officer.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.