- Course at a Glance
- Code: COG
- Course Length: 3 Months
In this interactive 3 month LIVE ONLINE course, you will learn:
- Skills and competencies in electrical and instrumentation (E&I) oil and gas engineering
- Knowledge of the latest technologies in E&I oil and gas engineering
- Key techniques in operating a facility to the highest level of safety and in protecting the environment
There is a growing shortage, and hence opportunity, for electrical and instrumentation (E&I) technicians, technologists and engineers in the oil and gas industry. This is due to an increasing need for higher technology methods of obtaining and processing oil and gas as it is a finite declining resource. The price of oil is normally heading upwards, thus making personnel and their associated oil and gas expertise in these industries even more valuable. The technical challenges of extracting oil and gas are becoming ever more demanding, with increasing emphasis on more marginal fields and previously inaccessible zones such as deep oceans, Polar regions, Falkland Islands and Greenland. The aim for this program is to provide you with core electrical and instrumentation engineering skills to enhance your career, and to benefit your firm.
This program provides a whole spectrum of activities ranging from basic electrical and instrumentation engineering through to advanced practice in hazardous areas and data communications. It will take an in-depth look at a vast array of electrical and instrumentation equipment used in an oil and gas environment as well as examples of practical treatment of electrical power systems and instrumentation within the oil, gas, petrochemical and offshore industries. Whilst there is some theory included, it is used in a practical context, giving you the necessary tools to ensure that the electrical and instrumentation hardware is delivering the results intended.
MODULE 1: Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering
- Power systems
- Power generation
MODULE 2: Fundamentals of Process Control Engineering
- Instrumentation, measurement
- Process measurement
MODULE 3: General Instrumentation Standards in Oil and Gas
- Engineering standards, PID, electrical schematics
- Calibration and errors
MODULE 4: Process Instrumentation
MODULE 5: Process Control Basics
- Loop control
- Feed forward, feedback, cascading
- Control valves sizing, selection and maintenance (including pressure relief valves)
MODULE 6: Automated Control
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs)
- SCADA systems
MODULE 7: Remote Control
- Distributed control systems
- Industrial data communications (including Fieldbus and industrial Ethernet)
MODULE 8: Safety Instrumentation and Emergency Shutdown Systems for Oil and Gas
- IEC 61511 and IEC 61508
- Basic introduction to SIS
- LOPA, SIL
MODULE 9: Oil + Gas Control Systems – Wellhead
- Wellhead and flowline control – control systems
- Emergency wellhead blowout controls
MODULE 10: Oil + Gas Control Systems - Pipeline
- Compressor control (including surge control)
- Drilling control systems and instrumentation
MODULE 11: Oil + Gas Power Systems
- Power generation
- Cathodic protection
MODULE 12: Oil Gas Protection Systems
- Subsea instrumentation and control systems
- Pig launcher/receiver systems
- Critical flare knock out drum controls and instrumentation
- Flare flame front generator and ignition monitoring system
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of eLearning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Learning Support Officer for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of eLearning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT eLearning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Learning Support Officer.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.