- Course at a Glance
National Code - 52856
- Schedule Start Date: 2nd November 2020
- Code: DIL
- Course Length: 18 Months
- Course Location: Online
Graduates of this interactive, LIVE ONLINE program will be able to:
- Implement and utilise engineering solutions to lighting design and illumination engineering
- Analyse, plan, design and provide lighting solutions
- Prepare complex technical information and concepts to plan, communicate and implement solutions to a range of illumination engineering and lighting design environment and contexts
- Design advanced lighting systems utilising software and understanding of lighting concepts
- Manage complex projects and tenders on time and within budget
- Manage self-autonomy to achieve objectives within organisations that have outputs based on engineering application and develop professional practice in the field
Lighting design brings together art and science: requiring the designer to apply both creative flair and technical understanding to create visually appealing and effective spaces. To do this, lighting designers require a firm understanding of a range of concepts: from optics, electricity, visual perception, ergonomics, standards and regulations, energy efficiency, environmental issues, health and wellbeing; to the art of design.
The Advanced Diploma will prepare you for successful entrance and integration into the built environment design professional community.
Lighting professionals work in a variety of roles and project areas: lighting designers may be engaged to work on a range of applications, including: residential, commercial or healthcare interiors, façade lighting, road and tunnel lighting, sports lighting, public area lighting, and theatre or events lighting.
Throughout this course, students will gain the knowledge necessary to interact with a client and produce lighting outcomes that meet technical and aesthetic needs, and are able to convey emotive elements of the visual environment to all stakeholders.
The Advanced Diploma in Lighting Design begins with a basis in key scientific concepts in light, combined with an understanding of the human factors involved in visual perception. This basis is followed by the development of fundamental lighting design theory for interior, exterior and special applications; accompanied by experience using design software tools. This design knowledge is completed with the experience offered by authentic design projects and dedicated development of skills for professional practice as lighting designers.
Who Should Complete this Program
Anyone who wants to gain a strong functional knowledge of illumination engineering and lighting design to improve their current work skills and to further their job prospects, including:
- Electrical contractors
- Drafts people
- Lighting sales representatives
- Electrical engineers
- Interior designers
- Industrial designers
- Landscape architects
The program is composed of 12 modules and two units of competency. These modules cover a range of aspects to provide you with maximum practical coverage in the field of illumination engineering and lighting design.
|Unit/Module Code||Unit/Module Title|
Light and Energy
Fundamental Concepts in Lighting
Lighting Controls and Engineering
Human Factors in Lighting
Lighting Design Fundamentals
Interior Lighting Design Applications
Lighting Design Software
Exterior Lighting Design Applications
Special Applications in Lighting
Engage in professional practice in lighting
Design advanced lighting systems
This Engineering Institute of Technology Advanced Diploma is an accelerated, practical, work-oriented program. It is designed for engineers and technicians who have some background in the field. This includes those who have technical or ‘trade’ qualifications who want to move to the next career step, those with substantial relevant work experience who need to formalize and enhance their achievements, and those with higher level qualifications in a related field who wish to develop specialist knowledge. Practical work experience in related areas of engineering would help enormously. It would not be suitable for a student with no relevant work experience. We will review your application and may recommend pre-program studies if required.
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of online learning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Learning Support Officer for the complete duration of the program
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of online learning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT online learning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Learning Support Officer.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.