- Course at a Glance
National Code - 52726WA
- Schedule Start Date: 2nd July 2018
- Code: DEP
- Course Length: 24 Months
Join this interactive, LIVE ONLINE program, for 24 months part-time, to gain:
- Practical skills & know-how in electrical engineering best practice in the power industry
- Insight into latest technologies in electrical power systems
- Practical guidance and mentorship from highly experienced electrical power experts in the field
- Credibility as the electrical power expert in your firm or section
- Networking contacts in the power industry
- Improved career prospects and income
- A prestigious Advanced Diploma of Applied Electrical Engineering (Power Industry)
Join the next generation of electrical engineers, technologists and technicians in the electrical power supply industry and embrace a well paid, intensive yet enjoyable and safe career by embarking on this comprehensive and practical program.
This advanced diploma is ideal for those who want to move into a para-professional role with greater challenge and perhaps, responsibility for supervising others, and working at greater technical depth in the electrical power supply industry. Students of this program will probably already be employed in the electrical supply industry or with support vendors and consultants and may want to formalize and build on their on-the-job experience they have gained. Most students will have a trade or technical qualification and relevant work experience. This course is not suitable for a school leaver as you will lack the electrical industry experience to gain optimum value from this course– please talk to us about other options.
Specifically, you will gain more knowledge and skills relating to the following areas:
- The Fundamentals – Basic electrical engineering and electrical circuits, fundamentals of professional engineering and electrical drawings
- Electrical Engineering Components – Power distribution, transformers, circuit breakers and switchgear, electrical machines, power cables and accessories
- Protection and Earthing/Grounding – Earthing and lighting/surge protection, power system protection, electrical safety and wiring regulations
- Testing, Troubleshooting and Maintenance of Electrical Equipment
- Energy Efficiency and Energy Use
- Electrical Power Industry Best Practice – Power supply system equipment and installations, network protection for transmission and distribution systems, SCADA systems for power networks, development of switching programs for transmission and distribution networks, management of power network operations
The advanced diploma provides a solid overview of the current state of electrical engineering practice in the power industry and is presented in a practical and useful manner – all theory covered is tied to a practical outcome. Leading electrical engineers and technologists present the program over the web in a distance learning format using our acclaimed live highly interactive online learning techniques. We and your peers work closely with you all the way interactively using web and video conferencing in your learning experience. A major benefit of EIT’s approach is that you will have a dedicated Learning Support Officer, who will be there to assist and guide you throughout the program.
Who Should Complete this Program
- Electrical Technicians
- Power Supply Technicians and Tradespersons
- Electrical Test Technicians and Engineers
- SCADA Technicians and Engineers
- Automation Technicians
- Project Engineers
- Design Engineers
- Instrumentation and Design Engineers
- Field Technicians
- Plant Operators
- Maintenance Engineers and Supervisors
- Energy Management Consultants
- Automation and Process Engineers
- Project Managers
- Instrument Fitters and Instrumentation Engineers
- Consulting Engineers
- Production Managers
- Chemical and Mechanical Engineers
- Instrument and Process Control Technicians
In fact, anyone who wants to gain solid knowledge of the key elements of electrical engineering – to improve work skills and to create further job prospects. Even those of you who are highly experienced in electrical engineering may find it useful to attend some of the topics to gain key, up to date perspectives on electrical engineering.
The program modules cover the following eight main threads to provide you with maximum practical coverage in the field of electrical engineering.
- Electrical technology fundamentals
- Distribution equipment and protection
- Rotating machinery and transformers
- Power electronics
- Energy efficiency
- Earthing and safety regulations
- Operation and maintenance of electrical equipment
- Electrical power supply industry
The course is composed 19 modules. These modules cover a range of aspects to provide you with maximum practical coverage in this field:
|Module Number||Module Name||Duration|
Power Supply System Equipment and Installations
This Engineering Institute of Technology Advanced Diploma is an accelerated, practical, work-oriented program. It is designed for engineers and technicians who have some background in the field. This includes those who have technical or ‘trade’ qualifications who want to move to the next career step, those with substantial relevant work experience who need to formalize and enhance their achievements, and those with higher level qualifications in a related field who wish to develop specialist knowledge. Practical work experience in related areas of engineering would help enormously. It would not be suitable for a student with no relevant work experience. We will review your application and may recommend pre-program studies if required.
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of online learning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Learning Support Officer for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of online learning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT online learning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Learning Support Officer.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.