- Course at a Glance
National Code - 52726WA
- Schedule Start Date: 2nd June 2020
- Code: DEE
- Course Length: 18 Months
Join this interactive, LIVE ONLINE program, for 18 months part-time, to gain:
- Skills and know-how in the latest technologies in electrical engineering
- Practical guidance from electrical engineering experts in the field
- Knowledge from the extensive experience of the lecturers, rather than from only the theoretical information gained from books and college
- Credibility as the local electrical engineering expert in your firm
- Networking contacts in the industry
- Improved career prospects and income
- A world-class Advanced Diploma of Applied Electrical Engineering (Electrical Systems)
Join the next generation of electrical engineers and technicians and embrace a well paid, intensive yet enjoyable career by embarking on this comprehensive course on electrical engineering. It is presented in a practical and useful manner - all theory covered is tied to a practical outcome. Leading electrical engineers who are highly experienced engineers from industry, having 'worked in the trenches' in the various electrical engineering areas present the course over the web in a distance learning format using our acclaimed live e-learning techniques.
The course starts with an overview of the basic principles of electrical engineering and then goes on to discuss the essential topics in depth. With a total of 16 modules, everything that is of practical value from electrical distribution concepts to the equipment used, safety at work to power quality are all looked at in detail. Each module contains practical content so that the students can practice what they learn including the basic elements of designing a system and troubleshooting.
Most academic courses deal with engineering theory in detail but fall short when it comes to giving practical hints on what a technician is expected to know for a job in the field. In this course, the practical aspects receive emphasis so that when you go out into the field you will have the feeling that ‘you have seen it all.
Who should complete this program?
- Electrical Engineers and Technicians
- Project Engineers
- Design Engineers
- Instrumentation and Design Engineers
- Electrical Technicians
- Field Technicians
- Plant Operators
- Maintenance Engineers and Supervisors
- Energy Management Consultants
- Automation and Process Engineers
- Design Engineers
- Project Managers
- Instrument Fitters and Instrumentation Engineers
- Consulting Engineers
- Production Managers
- Chemical and Mechanical Engineers
- Instrument and Process Control Technicians
In fact, anyone who wants to gain solid knowledge of the key elements of electrical engineering – to improve work skills and to create further job prospects. Even those of you who are highly experienced in electrical engineering may find it useful to attend some of the topics to gain key, up to date perspectives on electrical engineering.
The course covers the following seven main threads to provide you with maximum practical coverage in the field of electrical engineering
- Electrical technology fundamentals
- Distribution equipment and protection
- Rotating machinery and transformers
- Power electronics
- Energy efficiency
- Earthing and safety regulations
- Operation and maintenance of electrical equipment
The course is composed 16 modules. These modules cover a range of aspects to provide you with maximum practical coverage in the field of Applied Electrical Engineering:
|Module Number||Module Name||Duration|
|16||DC and AC High Reliability Power Supplies||6 Weeks|
Job Outcomes, International Recognition and Professional Membership:
The Advanced Diploma of Applied Electrical Engineering (Electrical Systems) qualification is recognized by Engineers Australia and (through the Dublin Accord) by leading professional associations and societies in Australia, Canada, Ireland, Korea, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom and the United States. The Dublin Accord is an agreement for the international recognition of Engineering Technician qualifications.
For example, current enrolled students can apply for free student membership of Engineers Australia. After graduation, you can apply for membership to become an Engineering Associate, while graduates interested in UK recognition can apply for membership of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) as a Technician Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
This professional recognition greatly improves the global mobility of graduates, and offers you the opportunity of a truly international career.
You will be qualified to find employment as an Engineering Associate in public and private industry including transportation, manufacturing, process, construction, resource, energy and utilities industries. Engineering Associates often work in support of professional engineers or engineering technologists in a team environment. If you prefer to work in the field you may choose to find employment as a site supervisor, senior technician, engineering assistant, or similar.
For more information about accreditation, please visit this webpage.
This Advanced Diploma is an accelerated, practical, work-oriented course. It is designed for engineers and technicians who have some background in the field. This includes those who have technical or ‘trade’ qualifications and want to move to the next career step, those with substantial relevant work experience who need to formalize and enhance their achievements, and those with higher level qualifications in a related field who wish to develop specialist knowledge.
In order to maximize the benefit of this course, students should have at least a tertiary qualification in Engineering and some work experience in Engineering (preferably Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical). Practical work experience in related areas of Engineering would also assist with the mastering of the advanced diploma material. It would not be suitable for a student with no relevant work experience.
English language competency is also required. Students are required to understand spoken and written English and to communicate in English verbally and in writing.
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of Online Learning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Learning Support Officer for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of Online Learning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT Online Learning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assessments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Learning Support Officer.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.