- Course at a Glance
- Code: CSE
- Course Length: 3 Months
In this interactive 3 month LIVE ONLINE course, you will learn how to:
- Maintain and troubleshoot waste water treatment systems
- Understand the different waste water treatment systems available
- Understand national and local legislation
- Apply knowledge of the latest technologies and best practice
The quality of groundwater used cannot be compromised any longer and the servicing requirements of on-site sewage disposal systems cannot be ignored. With limited funds available to you, the private owner or regulatory agency who is responsible for inspection, the task of on-site sewage treatment and disposal is becoming very difficult.
With limited funds available to the owners we believe this program will help you to install an effective system. You will learn numerous tips and tricks throughout the program to make it very practical and relevant to your applications.
Module 1: PLANNING CONSIDERATIONS – PROVINCIAL AND NATIONAL GOVERNMENT
Economic, social and environmental goals of planning
Need for health and safety
Factors in preparing municipal plans
Protection for stepped up demand
Module 2: WASTE WATER FUNDAMENTALS
Biological, phosphorous, ammonia
Alternate discharge options
Receiving water capacity-provincial water quality objectives
Module 3: DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS
Collection of sewage
Aerobic and anaerobic treatments
Critical design parameters for communal sewage treatment systems
Module 4: TREATMENT TECHNOLOGIES
Suspended solids removal
Nitrification and denitrification
Module 5: TREATMENT SYSTEMS
Conventional septic tank
- As the treatment system
- Enhanced septic tanks
- As a primary for other bioreactors
- Fixed film
- Filters-sand, peat, stone, synthetics
- New technologies targeting specific contaminants
Module 6: RECIRCULATING SAND FILTERS YEAR ROUND TREATMENT
History experimental design
Module 7: SUBSURFACE DISCHARGE
Module 8: DIRECT DISCHARGE
Stream assimilative capacity
Module 9: BIOSOLIDS DISPOSAL
Module 10: MANAGEMENT OF COMMUNAL WASTE WATER SYSTEMS
Long term satisfactory performance
Module 11: FINANCIAL AND LEGAL ISSUES
Municipal and owner liability
Module 12: DESIGN AND INSTALLATION OF YOUR OWN SYSTEM
Simple design rules
Implementation of your system
Tips and tricks
The thirteen golden rules of working with waste water systems
Module 13: CASE STUDIES
Private rondavel in a pristine inaccessible area
In the middle of suburbia
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of eLearning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Learning Support Officer for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of eLearning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT eLearning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Learning Support Officer.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.