Professional Certificate of Competency in Instrumentation, Automation and Process Control
BY THE END OF THIS 3-MONTH INTERACTIVE LIVE ONLINE COURSE YOU WILL LEARN:
- Instrumentation terms, concepts, diagrams and symbols
- How to implement an instrument and wiring number system
- An overview of the use of PLCs in industrial applications
- Pressure sources and the basic terms of pressure measurement
- Level measurement and the basics associated with it
- Temperature measurement and the various associated transducers
- Flow measurement techniques
- Control valve principles and common valve types
- New technologies such as smart instrumentation and fieldbus
- How to integrate a complete system (considering instrumentation and total errors) as well as selection criteria, commissioning and testing
- An overview of HMI, SCADA and DCS systems
- Different tuning rules
- Latest ISO requirements for a company
- HAZOP studies
- About reliability centred maintenance and spare parts analysis
- To appreciate factory and site acceptance testing
- Considerations for building in-house panels and installations
The next intake starts on the week of August 28, 2017.
This is a very popular course and there are limited places available.
Contact us now to find out more and secure your place!
This course is for engineers and technicians who need to have a practical knowledge of selection, installation and commissioning of industrial instrumentation and control valves. In many respects a clear understanding and application of these principles is the most important factor in an efficient process control system.
This course is for those individuals primarily involved in achieving effective results for the industrial processes they are responsible for. This would involve the design, specification and implementation of control and measurement equipment. The course focuses on real applications, with attention to special installation considerations and application limitations when selecting or installing different measurement or control equipment.
MODULE 1: Introduction, Basic Terms and Definitions
Basis measurement and control concepts
Basic performance terms and conditions
Advanced performance terms and conditions
MODULE 2: Diagrams and Numbering
P & ID symbols
MODULE 3: Pressure Measurement
Principles of pressure measurement
Mechanical transducers and elements
Electrical transducers and elements
Impact on the overall control loop
Future pressure technologies
MODULE 4: Level Measurement
Principles of level measurement
Simple sight glasses and gauging rods
Buoyancy tape systems
Future level technologies
MODULE 5: Temperature Measurement
Principles of temperature measurement
Resistance temperature detectors (RTDs)
Liquid-in-glass, filled and bimetallic
Impact on the overall control loop
Future temperature technologies
MODULE 6: Flow and Mass Measurement
Principle of flow measurement
Differential pressure flowmeters
Open channel flow measurement
Variable area flowmeters
Oscillatory flow measurement
Magnetic flow meters
Ultrasonic flow measurement
Mass flow meters
Impact on overall control loop
MODULE 7: Control Valves
Principles of control valves
Sliding stem valves
Control valve selection and sizing
Control valve characteristics / trim
Control valve noise and cavitation
Actuators and positioners
Valve benchset and stroking
Impact on overall control loop
MODULE 8: Basic Control Philosophies
Feed forward and ration control
Overview of different tuning rules available
Good practice in troubleshooting
Adaptive and self tuning controllers
MODULE 9: Integration of the System, Modern Trends and Other Process Considerations
Calculation of individual instruments and total error for the system
Testing and commissioning of subsystems
RS 232, RS 422, RS 423, RS 485, etc.
Fiber optic cables
New smart instruments and fieldbus
Noise and earthing considerations
Materials of construction
MODULE 10: Programmable Logic Controllers Introduction to the PLC
Digital Input / Output Systems
Analog Input / Output Systems
Fundamentals of PLC Programming
MODULE 11: ISO, HAZOPS, Reliability Centered Maintenance, Spare Parts Analysis, Testing and Panel Design
ISO 9001:2000 in depth
Reliability centered maintenance and spare parts analysis
Acceptance Testing (FAT and SAT)
Electrical design of assorted panels
MODULE 12: HMI, SCADA & DCS Systems
System Hardware & Software
Design & layout
Alarms & Reporting
NB: The course description of all EIT "Certificate" courses has been changed to "Professional Certificate of Competency". Some course brochures are not yet updated. The actual certificate received by successful students will include the new title.
Contact Our Course Advisors
Click here to contact us to receive assistance from our Course Advisors.
In Company Online Training Solutions
Special class groups can be arranged on request to match your own schedule. If you have a large number of staff who should complete any of our programs, read more about EIT's In Company Online Training HERE and contact us to assist you further.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.
What are the fees for my country?
The Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) provides distance education to students located all around the world – it is one of the very few truly global training institutes. Course fees are paid in a currency that is determined by the student’s location. We aim to give you a rapid response regarding course fees that are relevant to your individual circumstances.
We understand that cost is a major consideration before a student begins to study. For a rapid reply to your query regarding courses fees and payment options, please contact a Course Advisor in your region via the below button and we will respond within two (2) business days.
EIT Certificate Course Payment Information
Please contact us with your location for certificate fees in the relevant currency. Full payment is required between two (2) and four (4) weeks before the course starts.
Certificate fees include:
- All live webinars with a professional instructor
- Four (4) technical manuals (as searchable eBooks)
- Course materials
- Assignments, and
- Ongoing support from a dedicated Course Coordinator
All you need to participate is an Internet connection, a computer, speakers and, if possible, a microphone.
Fee concessions may apply for multiple bookings on our certificate courses.
For a rapid reply to your query regarding courses fees and payment options, please contact us and we will respond within two (2) business days.
More courses available from EIT's School of Industrial Automation
Accredited Postgraduate Programs
Accredited Diploma and Advanced Diploma Programs
- Advanced Diploma of Electrical and Instrumentation (E & I) Engineering in MiningI
- Advanced Diploma of Electrical and Instrumentation (E & I) Engineering for Oil and Gas FacilitiesI
- Advanced Diploma of Industrial AutomationI
- Advanced Diploma of Remote Engineering, Mechatronics and RoboticsI
Professional Development Series
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Allen Bradley Controllogix/Logix5000 PLC Platforms
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Best Practice in Process, Electrical & Instrumentation Drawings and Documentation
- Professional Certificate of Competency in CitectSCADA/VIJEO
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Control Valve Sizing, Selection and Maintenance
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Hazardous Areas and Intrinsic Safety for Engineers and Technicians
- Professional Certificate of Competency in IEC 61850 based Substation Automation
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Instrumentation, Automation and Process Control
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Machine Vision Applications in Industry
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Practical Boiler Control and Instrumentation for Engineers and Technicians
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Process Control Incorporating Loop Tuning and Advanced Control Strategies
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) and SCADA System
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Safety Instrumentation Systems for Process Industries
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Siemens S7 1200/TIA Portal
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Subsea Oil and Gas Technology
- Professional Certificate of Competency in the Selection, Commissioning and Maintenance of Shutdown, Blowdown, Severe Service and Choke Valves
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Wonderware InTouch HMI
In order to meet the exacting demands of the oil and gas, mining, manufacturing and downstream processing industries, modern plants are equipped with systems and devices which are needed to measure and regulate variables such as temperature, pressure, flow, humidity, liquid level, velocity and density. Industrial Automation provides the technology to control and monitor a process plant using such concepts as feedback, cascade, feedforward and advanced process control. Here at the Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT), we have developed industry-focused programs in the form of vocational diplomas, advanced diplomas and graduate certificates, all the way up to Masters level in the higher education sector.
There is a critical shortage of automation, instrumentation and control engineers, technicians and technologists around the world now due to the retirement, restructuring and rapid growth in new technologies and industries. The respected International Society of Automation (ISA) organization estimated that at least 15,000 new automation engineers are needed annually in the USA alone.
In keeping with the philosophy of EIT, students in this school are exposed to the practical, up-to-the-minute knowledge and skills demanded by leading industries worldwide, with online instrumentation courses. EIT does not just cater to a generic student body, instead all of our online instrumentation courses are specific to industry. The programs cover a large range of topics and are suited to anyone needing an intensive and practical look at all facets of industrial automation, instrumentation and process control.
The short courses that form part of EIT's professional development series are designed to provide students with critical knowledge and practical tools that can be immediately applied to the workplace. They are ideal to up-skill and/or cross-skill in a particular area or technology and are not accredited programs.
Students in EIT's School of Industrial Automation, Instrumentation and Process Control study subjects which include: process control, instrumentation, control valves, process plant layout and piping design, tuning of process loops, SCADA, PLCs, advanced process control (APC), boiler control, hazardous areas, safety instrumentation (IEC 61511 and IEC 61508), HAZOPs, industrial data communications, networking, deviceNet and Fieldbus, industrial wireless, radio telemetry systems, shielding/EMC/EMI, and noise reduction.
I: Vocational Education & Training (VET) program
II: Higher Education program
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is what some of our past students have said they liked most about this course:
"I really enjoyed the content taught and easy way it was made to learn!" L. Crombie (Australia)
"The examples and demonstrations given by the instructor who seemed to have a lot of industry experience. He also has the capacity to explain complex theoretical concepts in plain English for everybody to understand." A. Brustur (Australia)
"The instructor's knowledge, which gave you great confidence along with his feedback." G. Thompson (United Kingdom)
"The instructor is a very knowledgable individual and was more than accommodating, thank you. You gave me every oppurtunity to ask questions and interact with the instructor." C. Kaye (USA)
"I wish to thank the course co-ordinators, they were wonderful." B. Egburedi (Nigeria)
"Excellent material." J. Thackthay (USA)
"I enjoyed this a lot and learnt a lot more than I was expecting. It encouraged me to work harder in the assignments and enjoy the course. This is my first webinar based course and was a lot better than I had been expecting so it will not be my last. The instructor was brilliant. Made the course." K. Dolan (New Zealand)