Professional Certificate of Competency in Industrial Data Communications
Course at a Glance
Course Name - Professional Certificate of Competency in Industrial Data Communications
Course Code - CID
Qualification - Professional Development
Duration - 3 Months
CEU/CPD* - on enquiry
BY THE END OF THIS 3-MONTH INTERACTIVE LIVE ONLINE COURSE YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO:
- Identify, prevent and troubleshoot industrial communications problems
- Fix over sixty of the most common problems that occur in industrial communications systems
- Successfully troubleshoot industrial communications systems
Modern industrial control and information systems employ a proliferation of technologies, including various hardware standards and protocols. For many of the personnel working with these systems the technologies are 'plug and play' and are just there to be used. The problems arise when decisions have to be made regarding the most suitable technologies for a given application, or when things go wrong and troubleshooting has to be performed. Without a thorough grasp of the working of the technologies involved, and without the availability of (and the ability to use) suitable diagnostic tools, this becomes a formidable challenge.
The world of industrial communications abounds with three-letter acronyms, protocols, layered communication systems, fieldbuses and device networks. There are numerous networking and industrial bus standards, synchronous and asynchronous protocols, baseband and broadband systems, bus and star topologies, connection-oriented and connectionless protocols. In addition, there is a pronounced migration towards the use of Ethernet and TCP/IP. No wonder some of us are feeling a little confused.
To complicate matters, many technicians and electricians who were initially trained in process instrumentation or electrical maintenance are now expected to perform network maintenance - truly a major challenge. This program demystifies the jargon and places the most popular systems, technologies, hardware standards and protocols in an OSI (Open Systems Interconnection) perspective. It explains how these technologies operate and equips participants with the tools and skills to do basic hardware and protocol-related troubleshooting on both serial (RS-485) and Ethernet type networks.
MODULE 1: Data Communications Basics
Overview of industrial data communications
Basic data communications principles
Dealing with noise
MODULE 2: Serial Communications
MODULE 3: Introduction to Protocols
File transfer protocols
MODULE 4: Networking Basics and System Components
Medium access control
Repeaters, hubs, bridges, switches, routers
MODULE 5: Industrial Ethernet
CSMA/CD (half-duplex) Ethernet
Industrial Ethernet components and Techniques
MODULE 6: TCP/IP Internet Layer Protocols
The TCP/IP protocol suite
IP addressing techniques and routing concepts
MODULE 7: TCP/IP Host-to-Host and Application Layer Protocols
Host-to-Host layer protocols: TCP and UDP
FTP, DHCP, HTTP and other application layer protocols
PING, ARP, TRACERT and other TCP/IP utilities
MODULE 8: Fieldbuses
MODULE 9: Modbus
The Modbus messaging protocol
Modbus Serial RTU
Modbus Serial ASCII
MODULE 10: Wireless Communications and Networking
Wireless networking components
MODULE 11: OPC
Overview of OPC specifications
OPC DA3.0 data access
MODULE 12: Network Security
Authentication and encryption
WLAN vulnerabilities and solutions
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of eLearning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Course Coordinator for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of eLearning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT eLearning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Course Coordinator.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
Contact Our Course Advisors
In Company Online Training Solutions
Special class groups can be arranged on request to match your own schedule. If you have a large number of staff who should complete one of our programs, read more about our In Company Online Training HERE and contact us to assist you further.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.
What are the fees for my country?
The Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) provides distance education to students located all around the world – it is one of the very few truly global training institutes. Course fees are paid in a currency that is determined by the student’s location. We aim to give you a rapid response regarding course fees that are relevant to your individual circumstances.
We understand that cost is a major consideration before a student begins to study. For a rapid reply to your query regarding courses fees and payment options, please contact a Course Advisor in your region via the below button and we will respond within two (2) business days.
EIT Certificate Course Payment Information
Please contact us with your location for certificate fees in the relevant currency. Full payment is required between two (2) and four (4) weeks before the course starts.
Certificate fees include:
- All live webinars with a professional instructor
- Four (4) technical manuals (as searchable eBooks)
- Course materials
- Assignments, and
- Ongoing support from a dedicated Course Coordinator
All you need to participate is an Internet connection, a computer, speakers and, if possible, a microphone.
Fee concessions may apply for multiple bookings on our certificate courses.
For a rapid reply to your query regarding courses fees and payment options, please contact us and we will respond within two (2) business days.
Other courses available from EIT's School of Data Communications & Industrial IT
- Advanced Diploma of Industrial Data Communications, Networking and IT
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Advanced TCP/IP-Based Industrial Networking
- Cybersecurity for Automation, Control, and SCADA Systems
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Engineering and Industrial Mobile Application Development
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Industrial Data Communications
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Modern SCADA Communication Systems including DNP3 & IEC60870
Industrial data communications, networking and IT systems are key components of all modern plants and facilities and industrial infrastructure. Robust and reliable communications links are now critical in almost every industry. There are daily reports of viral and hack attacks on industrial computer systems and there is an extraordinary need for up-to-date training and education in these areas.
To address the shortage of well-trained industrial data communications, networking and industrial IT personnel, EIT has developed an Advanced Diploma in Industrial Data Communications, Networking and IT. The short courses that form part of EIT's professional development series are designed to provide students with critical knowledge and practical tools that can be immediately applied to the workplace. They are ideal to up-skill and/or cross-skill in a particular area or technology.
Typical subjects that are taught and researched in the EIT School of Data Communications and Industrial IT include: computer systems engineering, data communications and networking protocols and standards, troubleshooting systems, Fieldbus, DeviceNet, Ethernet, Radio telemetry systems, fiber optics, DNP3, 61850, routers and switches, SCADA, Modbus, programmable logic controllers, RFID tagging, industrial network security and programming.
Frequently Asked Questions