Professional Certificate of Competency in Engineering and Industrial Mobile Application Development
Course at a Glance
Course Name - Professional Certificate of Competency in Engineering and Industrial Mobile Application Development
Course Code - CMA
Qualification - Professional Development
Duration - 3 Months
CEU/CPD* - on enquiry
IN THIS 3-MONTH INTERACTIVE LIVE ONLINE COURSE YOU WILL LEARN:
- The ability to create your own Android “Apps”
- Industrial app development focus: Monitor and control equipment!
- Step-by-step practical app development
- Tips and tricks for publishing and distributing your app, all from an expert in App development
- How to remain current with innovative trends in technology
- Skills in using existing app open source code (Don’t re-invent the wheel)
- The "do’s and don’ts" of app development
Have you ever thought, “There should be an app for this!”? Have you ever wanted to create an app for reading and controlling your equipment, especially for those in the hard to reach remote areas? With the free and open Android development tools, and the right know-how, you can do it! This program will empower you with the skills and know-how.
The program covers core components of Android development and will provide you with the tools and knowledge to tackle app development projects with confidence. We commence with a review of the fundamentals of Android development, the history and development environment. A basic project is walked-through from layout, behaviour and resources. The app is developed into a Widget, modified for multiple devices, and finally published to the Play Store. Furthermore, an advanced approach is taken, focusing on threads, handlers, lists, multi-screens and data storage. User input and relative layouts and alarms are investigated, as well as advanced status, activities and images.
This program is designed for individuals who want to understand and build techniques required to develop and apply Android applications to industrial and other environments as productively and economically as possible. No previous programming skills or development know-how is required. Individuals with a drive for innovation and interest in staying ahead of the curve with modern resources would also benefit, including those involved in:
- Control and instrumentation
- Control systems
- Electrical installations
- Process control
- Process development
- Project management
- Sales and marketing
- SCADA and telemetry systems
MODULE 1: ANDROID OVERVIEW
Background and history of Android
Features and framework
Setup of the Android SDK and Eclipse
New project template
Basic project layout
AVD (Android Virtual Device)
First app “hello world”
MODULE 2: JAVA AND XML ESSENTIALS
The Java programming language
Inheritance and interfaces
XML (eXtensible Markup Language)
MODULE 3: USER INTERFACE DESIGN
Basic user interface layout
Text, buttons and images
Event Handling and EditText boxes
Spinners and Array Adaptors
Output using SMS Server
MODULE 4: PUBLISHING AND DEPLOYING AN APP
Android Package file (APK)
Google Play developer Profile
Pricing (paid, free)
MODULE 5: REAL-WORLD INPUT / OUTPUT
The IOIO hardware peripheral
Connecting and setup of Android supported hardware
Reading inputs – displayed using text
Transmitting outputs – sent using on/off buttons
MODULE 6: MULTI-DEVICE SUPPORT AND TABLET DEVELOPMENT
Languages, screen size, screen density
Landscape and portrait modes
Platform versions, localisation
MODULE 7: MULTIPLE ACTIVITIES
Creating App Widgets
MODULE 8: MENUS, PREFERENCES AND SETTINGS
Creating options menu
List-based menu structures
MODULE 9: PERSISTENT DATA STORAGE
Data storage media
SQLite database - create and manage queries
MODULE 10: DATE, TIME, ALARMS AND CALENDARS
Working with date and time
Creating an alarm
Working with calendars
MODULE 11: ACCESSING THE DEVICE
Accessing the Contact List
Location Services and GPS
Using Google Maps
MODULE 12: SERVICES AND NOTIFICATIONS
RSS data feeds
Status Bar notifications
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of eLearning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Course Coordinator for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of eLearning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT eLearning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Course Coordinator.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
Contact Our Course Advisors
Click here to contact us to receive assistance from our Course Advisors.
In Company Online Training Solutions
Special class groups can be arranged on request to match your own schedule. If you have a large number of staff who should complete any of our programs, read more about EIT's In Company Online Training HERE and contact us to assist you further.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.
What are the fees for my country?
The Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) provides distance education to students located almost anywhere in the world – it is one of the very few truly global training institutes. Course fees are paid in a currency that is determined by the student’s location. A full list of fees in a currency appropriate for every country would be complex to navigate and, with today’s exchange rate fluctuations, difficult to maintain. Instead we aim to give you a rapid response regarding fees that is customised to your individual circumstances.
We understand that cost is a major consideration before a student commences study. For a rapid reply to your enquiry regarding courses fees and payment options, please enquire via the below button and we will respond within 2 business days.
EIT Certificate Course Payment Options
Please contact us with your location for certificate fees in the relevant currency. Full payment is required between two (2) and four (4) weeks before the course starts.
Certificate fees include:
- All live webinars with a professional instructor
- Four (4) technical manuals (as searchable eBooks)
- Course materials
- Assignments, and
- Ongoing support from a dedicated Course Coordinator
All you need to participate is an Internet connection, a computer, speakers and, if possible, a microphone.
Fee concessions may apply for multiple bookings on our certificate courses.
For a rapid reply to your query regarding courses fees and payment options, please contact us and we will respond within two (2) business days.
Other courses available from EIT's School of Data Comms, Networking & IT
- Advanced Diploma of Industrial Data Communications, Networking and IT
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Advanced TCP/IP-Based Industrial Networking
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Cybersecurity for Automation, Control, and SCADA Systems
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Engineering and Industrial Mobile Application Development
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Industrial Data Communications
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Modern SCADA Communication Systems including DNP3 & IEC60870
Industrial data communications, networking and IT systems are key components of all modern plants and facilities and industrial infrastructure. Robust and reliable communications links are now critical in almost every industry. There are daily reports of viral and hack attacks on industrial computer systems and there is an extraordinary need for up-to-date training and education in these areas.
To address the shortage of well-trained industrial data communications, networking and industrial IT personnel, EIT has developed an Advanced Diploma in Industrial Data Communications, Networking and IT. The short courses that form part of EIT's professional development series are designed to provide students with critical knowledge and practical tools that can be immediately applied to the workplace. They are ideal to up-skill and/or cross-skill in a particular area or technology.
Typical subjects that are taught and researched in the EIT School of Data Communications and Industrial IT include: computer systems engineering, data communications and networking protocols and standards, troubleshooting systems, Fieldbus, DeviceNet, Ethernet, Radio telemetry systems, fiber optics, DNP3, 61850, routers and switches, SCADA, Modbus, programmable logic controllers, RFID tagging, industrial network security and programming.
Frequently Asked Questions