Professional Certificate of Competency in Best Practice in Process, Electrical & Instrumentation Drawings and Documentation
Course at a Glance
Course Name - Professional Certificate of Competency in Best Practice in Process, Electrical & Instrumentation Drawings and Documentation
Course Code - CDR
Qualification - Professional Development
Duration - 3 Months
CEU/CPD* - on enquiry
IN THIS INTERACTIVE 3-MONTH LIVE ONLINE COURSE YOU WILL LEARN:
- Process control devices and the symbols used to define them
- The use of specifications to control the design scope of the project
- How to implement and manage drawing plant modifications from conception to completion
- How to define and use process flow diagrams, P&IDs, instrument lists, specification forms, logic diagrams, location plans, installation details and loop diagrams
- How to define and specify vendor criteria for production of plant documentation to order
- The purpose of a HAZOP in the development of a plant
- The ISA standards available to assist you in developing and understanding instrument and control documents
- The scope, responsibility and interaction of each discipline in the completion of a project or plant modification
The next intake starts on the week of April 10, 2017.
There are limited places available per intake to ensure a superior learning experience for our students.
This course is designed for engineers and technicians from a wide range of abilities and backgrounds and will provide an excellent introduction to mastering plant documentation and diagrams. It covers the flow of documentation from design through manufacture to maintenance and operations. The program looks at the applications of each diagram type detailing where and when the document should be used.
During the life span of any plant, a multitude of different vendors will supply plant modifications and equipment as the plant is continuously enhanced. The quality of the documentation produced will vary enormously with each new supplier. You will be given the skills to apply an internationally acceptable set of standards to your plant documentation.
MODULE 1: Role of Plant Documentation, Standards and Specifications
Who sets the standards (ISA, IEC , ISO)
Understanding diagram layouts and formats
ISO 9002 and document control
MODULE 2: Fundamentals
Fail safe design
MODULE 3: Piping and Instrument Diagrams (P&ID)
Process flow diagrams
An introduction to the PFD, P&ID, UFD, MFD
Control loops on the P&ID
MODULE 4: Instrumentation
MODULE 5: Instrumentation (continued)
Schedules and lists
MODULE 6: Instrumentation (continued)
Standards and symbols
MODULE 7: Electrical
Electrical document types
Determine function, fault-finding
MODULE 8: Pneumatics and Hydraulics
Layout and symbols
Deducing principle of operation
MODULE 9: Ladder Logic
Introduction and overview
Standards and layout
Power supply circuits
MODULE 10: Electro Pneumatic Circuits
Principle of operation
MODULE 11: Practical Exercises
Develop basic hydraulic, electrical and pneumatic drawings
Develop P&ID drawings for pressure, temperature, flow and level loops
MODULE 12: Practical Exercises
Detail the documentation for typical instruments
Proceed through development of a full plant set of drawings from flow diagrams and process description to P&ID, electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic symbols
Using software to undertake these typical tasks
Please note: Course content is subject to change. Due to rapidly changing technology and based on feedback from students and instructors, the Engineering Institute of Technology courses are continuously being updated and improved.
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of eLearning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Course Coordinator for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of eLearning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT eLearning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Course Coordinator.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
Contact Our Course Advisors
Click here to contact us to receive assistance from our Course Advisors.
In Company Online Training Solutions
Special class groups can be arranged on request to match your own schedule. If you have a large number of staff who should complete any of our programs, read more about EIT's In Company Online Training HERE and contact us to assist you further.
What are the fees for my country?
The Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) provides distance education to students located all around the world – it is one of the very few truly global training institutes. Course fees are paid in a currency that is determined by the student’s location. We aim to give you a rapid response regarding course fees that are relevant to your individual circumstances.
We understand that cost is a major consideration before a student begins to study. For a rapid reply to your query regarding courses fees and payment options, please contact a Course Advisor in your region via the below button and we will respond within two (2) business days.
EIT Certificate Course Payment Information
Please contact us with your location for certificate fees in the relevant currency. Full payment is required between two (2) and four (4) weeks before the course starts.
Certificate fees include:
- All live webinars with a professional instructor
- Four (4) technical manuals (as searchable eBooks)
- Course materials
- Assignments, and
- Ongoing support from a dedicated Course Coordinator
All you need to participate is an Internet connection, a computer, speakers and, if possible, a microphone.
Fee concessions may apply for multiple bookings on our certificate courses.
For a rapid reply to your query regarding courses fees and payment options, please contact us and we will respond within two (2) business days.
More courses available from EIT's School of Industrial Automation
Accredited Postgraduate Programs
Accredited Diploma and Advanced Diploma Programs
- Advanced Diploma of Electrical and Instrumentation (E & I) Engineering in MiningI
- Advanced Diploma of Electrical and Instrumentation (E & I) Engineering for Oil and Gas FacilitiesI
- Advanced Diploma of Industrial AutomationI
- Advanced Diploma of Remote Engineering, Mechatronics and RoboticsI
Professional Development Series
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Allen Bradley Controllogix/Logix5000 PLC Platforms
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Best Practice in Process, Electrical & Instrumentation Drawings and Documentation
- Professional Certificate of Competency in CitectSCADA/VIJEO
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Control Valve Sizing, Selection and Maintenance
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Hazardous Areas and Intrinsic Safety for Engineers and Technicians
- Professional Certificate of Competency in IEC 61850 based Substation Automation
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Instrumentation, Automation and Process Control
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Machine Vision Applications in Industry
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Practical Boiler Control and Instrumentation for Engineers and Technicians
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Process Control Incorporating Loop Tuning and Advanced Control Strategies
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) and SCADA System
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Safety Instrumentation Systems for Process Industries
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Siemens S7 1200/TIA Portal
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Subsea Oil and Gas Technology
- Professional Certificate of Competency in the Selection, Commissioning and Maintenance of Shutdown, Blowdown, Severe Service and Choke Valves
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Wonderware InTouch HMI
In order to meet the exacting demands of the oil and gas, mining, manufacturing and downstream processing industries, modern plants are equipped with systems and devices which are needed to measure and regulate variables such as temperature, pressure, flow, humidity, liquid level, velocity and density. Industrial Automation provides the technology to control and monitor a process plant using such concepts as feedback, cascade, feedforward and advanced process control. Here at the Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT), we have developed industry-focused programs in the form of vocational diplomas, advanced diplomas and graduate certificates, all the way up to Masters level in the higher education sector.
There is a critical shortage of automation, instrumentation and control engineers, technicians and technologists around the world now due to the retirement, restructuring and rapid growth in new technologies and industries. The respected International Society of Automation (ISA) organization estimated that at least 15,000 new automation engineers are needed annually in the USA alone.
In keeping with the philosophy of EIT, students in this school are exposed to the practical, up-to-the-minute knowledge and skills demanded by leading industries worldwide, with online instrumentation courses. EIT does not just cater to a generic student body, instead all of our online instrumentation courses are specific to industry. The programs cover a large range of topics and are suited to anyone needing an intensive and practical look at all facets of industrial automation, instrumentation and process control.
The short courses that form part of EIT's professional development series are designed to provide students with critical knowledge and practical tools that can be immediately applied to the workplace. They are ideal to up-skill and/or cross-skill in a particular area or technology and are not accredited programs.
Students in EIT's School of Industrial Automation, Instrumentation and Process Control study subjects which include: process control, instrumentation, control valves, process plant layout and piping design, tuning of process loops, SCADA, PLCs, advanced process control (APC), boiler control, hazardous areas, safety instrumentation (IEC 61511 and IEC 61508), HAZOPs, industrial data communications, networking, deviceNet and Fieldbus, industrial wireless, radio telemetry systems, shielding/EMC/EMI, and noise reduction.
I: Vocational Education & Training (VET) program
II: Higher Education program
Frequently Asked Questions