Professional Certificate of Competency in Allen Bradley Controllogix/ Logix5000 PLC Platforms
IN THIS 3-MONTH INTERACTIVE LIVE ONLINE COURSE YOU WILL:
- Understand the basics of control systems and PLC processors
- Learn to operate and navigate RSLogix 5000 software and associated platforms
- Understand hot to use ladder logic programming
- Create and modify a project
- Use PLC hardware such as I/O modules
- Learn how to communicate across networks
- Be able to make design, maintenance and troubleshooting considerations
- Gain knowledge on an introduction to structured text and Sequential Function Charts (SFCs), as well as function block diagrams
- Understand fault finding techniques
The next intake starts on the week of May 08, 2017.
Interested in further PLC programming? Why not also complete our Professional Certificate of Competency in Siemens S7 1200/TIA Portal. Returning students are entitled to a reduction in their course fees.
This program concentrates on Rockwell RSLogix5000 and the platforms using this software. It is a practical program designed to give students the tools necessary to confidently create and program projects, focussing on design, implementation and maintenance. It commences with an explanation of the basics of control systems, why we use them and the various practical aspects of a Rockwell PLC. Various programming techniques, fault finding and correcting faults are also covered in detail.
The course is presented via live, interactive e-learning webinars. There will be set assignments throughout, focussing on the practical aspects of PLCs which are necessary for true design, configuration, implementation and maintenance to take place.
MODULE 1: Basic Understanding of Control Systems and Logix5000
- Understanding control systems
- How a PLC works and why we use them
- Drafting basic ladder logic for a RSLogix 5000ladder routine
- Operating and navigating RSLogix 5000 software
MODULE 2: Getting Started with Project Creation and Modification
- Fundamentals and definition of terms
- Creating and modifying a RSLogix 5000 project
- Relationship between the binary, decimal and hexadecimal numbering systems
- Creating tags and monitoring data in a RSLogix 5000 project
- The difference between tags and addresses
MODULE 3: Organising Data and Basic Ladder Logic Design and Rules
- Drafting basic ladder logic for a RSLogix 5000 ladder routine
- Selecting and entering basic ladder logic instructions for a RSLogix 5000 routine
- Organizing data
- Tasks, programs and routines
- Tag arrays
MODULE 4: Hardware Identification and Module Selection and Configuration
- Hardware of the different platforms, chassis, controllers, I/O modules and communication modules
- Configuring Controllogix digital I/O modules
- Configuring Controllogix analog I/O modules
MODULE 5: Ladder Programming using more Advanced Instruction Types
- Ladder programming using more advanced instruction types
- Using expressions
- Programming a procedures
- Retrieving and setting controller status values with GSV/SSV instructions
- Programming a BTD instruction
MODULE 6: Using Specialized Instructions and Communication
- Configuring a message instruction
- Programming program control instructions
- Creating user defined data types
- Using RSlinx for controller to computer communication
MODULE 7: Documenting and Searching a Project and Sharing Data over a Network
- Searching for project components
- Documenting a project
- Configuring Logix5000 controllers to share data over an Ethernet/IP network
- Communicating with an I/O Module over an Ethernet/IP network
MODULE 8: Fault Finding Techniques
- Forcing I/O tags and toggling bits
- Analysing and troubleshooting a system using a trend chart
- Analysing and correcting controller faults
- Analysing and correcting I/O faults
- Chassis and power supply problem
MODULE 9: Creating an A dd-On Instruction and Online Actions
- Entering and editing ladder logic online
- Developing an add-on instruction in a ladder diagram
- Managing RSLogix 5000 project files
MODULE 10: The Netlinx Philosophy and Earthing Considerations
- The 3 major industrial networks used by Controllogix
- The network topologies explained
- Installation considerations including earthing and power supplies
MODULE 11: Firmware Upgrade and Setting up Communication Modules
- Updating Logix5000 Firmware using Controlflash
- Setting up communication modules
- Introduction to BootP server
MODULE 12: Introduction to Other Programming Languages
- Introduction and creation of a function block diagram
- Introduction and creation of a structured text routine
- Introduction and creation of a sequential function chart
Contact Our Course Advisors
Click here to contact us to receive assistance from our Course Advisors.
In Company Online Training Solutions
Special class groups can be arranged on request to match your own schedule. If you have a large number of staff who should complete any of our programs, read more about EIT's In Company Online Training HERE and contact us to assist you further.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.
Note: Course content is subject to change.
What are the fees for my country?
The Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) provides distance education to students located all around the world – it is one of the very few truly global training institutes. Course fees are paid in a currency that is determined by the student’s location. We aim to give you a rapid response regarding course fees that are relevant to your individual circumstances.
We understand that cost is a major consideration before a student begins to study. For a rapid reply to your query regarding courses fees and payment options, please contact a Course Advisor in your region via the below button and we will respond within two (2) business days.
EIT Certificate Course Payment Information
Please contact us with your location for certificate fees in the relevant currency. Full payment is required between two (2) and four (4) weeks before the course starts.
Certificate fees include:
- All live webinars with a professional instructor
- Four (4) technical manuals (as searchable eBooks)
- Course materials
- Assignments, and
- Ongoing support from a dedicated Course Coordinator
All you need to participate is an Internet connection, a computer, speakers and, if possible, a microphone.
Fee concessions may apply for multiple bookings on our certificate courses.
For a rapid reply to your query regarding courses fees and payment options, please contact us and we will respond within two (2) business days.
More courses available from EIT's School of Industrial Automation
Accredited Postgraduate Programs
Accredited Diploma and Advanced Diploma Programs
- Advanced Diploma of Electrical and Instrumentation (E & I) Engineering in MiningI
- Advanced Diploma of Electrical and Instrumentation (E & I) Engineering for Oil and Gas FacilitiesI
- Advanced Diploma of Industrial AutomationI
- Advanced Diploma of Remote Engineering, Mechatronics and RoboticsI
Professional Development Series
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Allen Bradley Controllogix/Logix5000 PLC Platforms
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Best Practice in Process, Electrical & Instrumentation Drawings and Documentation
- Professional Certificate of Competency in CitectSCADA/VIJEO
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Control Valve Sizing, Selection and Maintenance
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Hazardous Areas and Intrinsic Safety for Engineers and Technicians
- Professional Certificate of Competency in IEC 61850 based Substation Automation
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Instrumentation, Automation and Process Control
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Machine Vision Applications in Industry
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Practical Boiler Control and Instrumentation for Engineers and Technicians
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Process Control Incorporating Loop Tuning and Advanced Control Strategies
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) and SCADA System
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Safety Instrumentation Systems for Process Industries
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Siemens S7 1200/TIA Portal
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Subsea Oil and Gas Technology
- Professional Certificate of Competency in the Selection, Commissioning and Maintenance of Shutdown, Blowdown, Severe Service and Choke Valves
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Wonderware InTouch HMI
In order to meet the exacting demands of the oil and gas, mining, manufacturing and downstream processing industries, modern plants are equipped with systems and devices which are needed to measure and regulate variables such as temperature, pressure, flow, humidity, liquid level, velocity and density. Industrial Automation provides the technology to control and monitor a process plant using such concepts as feedback, cascade, feedforward and advanced process control. Here at the Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT), we have developed industry-focused programs in the form of vocational diplomas, advanced diplomas and graduate certificates, all the way up to Masters level in the higher education sector.
There is a critical shortage of automation, instrumentation and control engineers, technicians and technologists around the world now due to the retirement, restructuring and rapid growth in new technologies and industries. The respected International Society of Automation (ISA) organization estimated that at least 15,000 new automation engineers are needed annually in the USA alone.
In keeping with the philosophy of EIT, students in this school are exposed to the practical, up-to-the-minute knowledge and skills demanded by leading industries worldwide, with online instrumentation courses. EIT does not just cater to a generic student body, instead all of our online instrumentation courses are specific to industry. The programs cover a large range of topics and are suited to anyone needing an intensive and practical look at all facets of industrial automation, instrumentation and process control.
The short courses that form part of EIT's professional development series are designed to provide students with critical knowledge and practical tools that can be immediately applied to the workplace. They are ideal to up-skill and/or cross-skill in a particular area or technology and are not accredited programs.
Students in EIT's School of Industrial Automation, Instrumentation and Process Control study subjects which include: process control, instrumentation, control valves, process plant layout and piping design, tuning of process loops, SCADA, PLCs, advanced process control (APC), boiler control, hazardous areas, safety instrumentation (IEC 61511 and IEC 61508), HAZOPs, industrial data communications, networking, deviceNet and Fieldbus, industrial wireless, radio telemetry systems, shielding/EMC/EMI, and noise reduction.
I: Vocational Education & Training (VET) program
II: Higher Education program
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is what some of our past students have said about this course:
"It was a good eye opener" S. Masarira (Australia)
"All modules were most valuable considering I never worked with Allen Bradley" J. Tshimanga (South Africa)
"Webinar concept is good" E. Okoro (Nigeria)
"Satisfied with course materials" K. Puleng (South Africa)
"Thanks for the experience" M. Kabila (Congo)