Diploma of Leadership and Management for Engineering and Technical Professionals
Course at a Glance
Course Name - Diploma of Leadership and Management for Engineering and Technical Professionals
Course Code - DMG
VET Code - BSB51915
Qualification - Diploma
Duration - 12 Months
CEU/CPD* - on enquiry
IN THIS INTENSIVE PART-TIME 12-MONTH LIVE ONLINE PROGRAM YOU WILL:
- Learn to lead and manage people and a business unit effectively
- Master the key skills for people management
- Learn how to work competently with financial plans and budgets
- Develop useful business and operational plans
- Harness innovative digital or IT technologies for your particular business
- Learn how to effectively manage projects from start to finish
- Move effectively from being a technical professional to a manager
- Improve your negotiation skills
- Gain skills to manage difficult people
- Learn how to make conflict work for you and not against you
- Be able to apply a valuable toolbox of skills to increase your team's productivity
This is not just another generic management course!
This program has been tailored to meet the needs of engineering and technical personnel and includes industry-relevant information.
Want to find out more? Management Toolbox Video
The next intake starts on the week of June 06, 2017.
Enhance your leadership and management skills
Whether you are moving from a purely technical role to that of managing a business unit within a large organisation, setting up a small business or working as a freelance consultant – this program will provide you with key skills and industry-related knowledge in leadership and management.
Most engineering professionals, with jobs ranging from tradesperson, supervisor, technician or engineer, spend the majority of their careers in a leadership role to some extent, but an overwhelming number of them are often dissatisfied with the transition from ‘engineering professional to leader’. Technical people are often so engrossed with the technical aspects of their job, that they can lose sight of the need to be ‘managing people’ effectively – along with the other aspects of a business such as: financial, marketing, and projects. Much of this frustration is due to a lack of preparation and lack of appropriate skills training, a problem which this program aims to rectify.
Completing this program will build enormous value into your life and career – you will learn to focus on managing people and a business, all within an engineering and technical context without sacrificing quality or quantity of your own output. Tthe core principles of business are ultimately very similar. You will gain these skills through real life examples, exercises and assignments, all designed around, and focused for use in, the engineering and technical industries and trade applications.
Meet the Challenges
One of the key challenges for technical professionals is effective, fair management and leadership of others within a small business or business unit of a large corporation. This program will provide you with the skills to motivate, communicate and manage staff, for peak performance, respect and productivity – it will update your leadership skills and position you to take on a (greater) leadership role in your corporation. You will understand the importance of creating results through and with people, starting with personal leadership and growing to being a leader of people. The key components of effective leadership are the ability to develop, motivate and equip people by being able to: communicate clearly, manage conflict, develop creativity and coach effectively. You will gain these skills, plus the knowledge and resources to immediately put them into effective practice.
The program commences with units on leading and managing workplace relationships and team effectiveness. The associated topic of ‘emotional intelligence’ is then covered. This ensures that you have a strong grasp of the basic principles of effective management, managing different personality types, interpersonal skills, leadership, communication skills and team management – all aimed at making you a better and effective manager. You will then cover management of operational plans where the overall business plan is applied to your business. Other components of this diploma include critical areas of: managing budgets and financial plans, developing a business plan, identifying threats and marketing opportunities.
A key element of all modern businesses is harnessing the digital and information technologies (IT), ranging from building web sites, use of emails, databases and even use of 3D printers – again all focused on the engineering and technical workplace. Further units covered include; managing risk (placed in a strongly practical and useful context) – something many managers are unfamiliar with. Finally, you will be exposed to the key skills in managing and running a project from a time, quality and financial aspect.
This program can be considered to be a ‘mini-MBA’, giving you all the key skills of working in or running a small business, or working within a business unit of a large company, multi-national, Government Department or other. This is an exciting and useful program, it will be presented online in a highly interactive way using web and video conferencing conveniently from your desk, using your tablet, computer, mobile phone or other device using highly experienced instructors. As noted earlier, a key element of this program which distinguishes it from others is that it will be tightly focused on a technical and engineering environment to augment the value to you.
The program is composed of 12 units which will be delivered over 12 months. Each unit includes weekly live webinars with an experienced instructor, set readings and assessments comprising of either written assignments, quizzes or short activities. The units are:
- Develop and use Emotional Intelligence
- Manage Operational Plan
- Lead and Manage Effective Workplace Relationships
- Lead and Manage Team Effectiveness
- Manage Budgets and Financial Plans
- Manage People Performance
- Incorporate Digital Solutions Into Plans and Practices
- Undertake Project Work
- Manage Risk
- Manage an Information or K nowledge Management System
- Develop and Implement a Business Plan
- Identify and Evaluate Marketing Opportunities
Who should complete this accredited qualification?
This program will benefit you if you are:
- Engineering and technical professionals such as technicians/technologists and engineers
- First-line supervisors
- Middle level executives and managers
- Project managers
- Team leaders
- Information Technologists
- Maintenance/supervisory managers
- Technical personnel
- Project team members in: Manufacturing; Process industries; Research and development; Utilities; Local authorities
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of eLearning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Course Coordinator for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of eLearning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT eLearning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Course Coordinator.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
Contact our Course Advisors
Click here to contact us to receive assistance from our experienced Course Advisors.
In Company Online Training Solutions
Special class groups can be arranged on request to match your own schedule. If you have a large number of staff who should complete any of our programs, read more about EIT's In Company Online Training HERE and contact us to assist you further.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.
What are the fees for my country?
The Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) provides distance education to students located all around the world – it is one of the very few truly global training institutes. Course fees are paid in a currency that is determined by the student’s location. We aim to give you a rapid response regarding course fees that are relevant to your individual circumstances.
We understand that cost is a major consideration before a student begins to study. For a rapid reply to your query regarding course fees and payment options, please contact a Course Advisor in your region via the below button and we will respond within two (2) business days.
EIT Diploma Payment Information
Please contact us with your location for Diploma fees in the relevant currency. Fees include:
- All live webinars with professional instructors
- Eight (8) technical manuals (as searchable eBooks)
- Course materials. The first two units require students to purchase the Kris Cole eBook "Management: Theory and Practice" (5th edition)
- Assignments, and
- Ongoing support from a dedicated Course Coordinator
All you need to participate is an Internet connection, a computer, speakers and, if possible, a microphone.
Fee concessions are available for larger group bookings
For a rapid reply to your query regarding courses fees and payment options, please contact us and we will respond within two (2) business days.
Other courses available in EIT's School of Engineering Management
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Project Management for Engineers and Technicians
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Specification and Technical Writing
Many engineering professionals tend to take on a role which encompasses management (and leadership) tasks at some stage of their career despite enjoying the technical aspects of their career.
Effective management, however, requires formal training and a willingness to learn new skills. All the technical know-how in the world will not deliver a project successfully, i.e. with the required level of quality, within cost constraints and on time. Unfortunately very few engineering professionals have any degree of formal management training, which results in a great deal of personal stress as well as cost blow-outs and other woes.
The lack of training often applies to the 'people skills' required for effective leadership as well. Critical project related activities such as work breakdown, scheduling, cost control and risk management, are important to understand. The 'soft' (but equally important) aspects such as team leadership and contract law are also critical.
EIT's School of Engineering Management thus focuses on project management with a interest in time, cost and risk management.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is what some of our past students have said about this course:
"The modules on this course are very relevant to my needs, I aim to apply this knowledge to my workplace. I have a young family, they take up a lot of my spare time. I may have covered some of these learning elements in previous education, but this on-line method seems to give me a positive but different learning experience. This method is challenging but as I have control over study time it seems to enable me to absorb more material and also suits my present lifestyle." P. Lynch (Ireland)
"I like the flexibility of being able to be at home and not have to attend a site to conduct course. With busy life and work commitments, it is good to have the selection of two seminars." Anon
"Some interesting topics and quite varied. Not a lot of similar courses on the market elsewhere. The online delivery is convenient for other commitments I have and helps keep costs down." S. Sommerville (United Kingdom)
"I like the webinar facilitators the best as they use their experience and skills when delivering the webinars. They make EIT what it really is. I also the course content is very relevant. I am getting a lot out of the course and put in a big effort. It's a shame I'm not seeing the same back from EIT." B. Smith (Australia)
"John Lawrence is a really good instructor and engages the whole class." D. Shirreff (Australia)
"I am very happy with completing the course, learning new skills and having the new knowledge to use throughout my career. Each style of teaching and delivery of the material made the Diploma of Leadership & Management a course I will always remember as being a great learning curve and very enjoyable. When each facilitator adds their own experience when delivering the material, it makes learning and listening very enjoyable and helped me relate to different things." M.Ingham (Australia)