- Course at a Glance
- Code: CSB
- Course Length: 3 Months
In this interactive 3 month LIVE ONLINE course, you will:
- Gain a thorough understanding of the subsea oil and gas industry
- Learn about the construction process and techniques pertinent to subsea engineering
- Review subsea engineering design and installation projects
- Learn about new technologies in subsea engineering
- Comprehend the main concepts on offshore oil and gas process and production facilities
- Learn about the types of offshore facilities
- Identify appropriate station keeping strategies
- Learn relevant asset integrity strategies
- Discuss the types of equipment required for successful subsea oil and gas operations
- Learn about the difficulties of working in a subsea environment, including blowout prevention and subsea control systems
There are excellent opportunities for employment in the oil and gas industry due to an ongoing shortage of technicians and technologists. Whilst there has been a downturn since 2014 in the oil and gas industry, owing to a dropping oil price, it is still very active worldwide. There is growth in these industries with a focus on natural gas and commercially viable oil fields. The technical challenges of extracting oil and gas are becoming ever more demanding, with increasing emphasis on marginal fields and previously inaccessible zones. The increasing need for higher technology methods of obtaining and processing oil and gas along with the retirement of the current baby boomer generation of technologists and technicians means that the demand for personnel is vibrant. Being a finite resource, ultimately the price of oil will steadily increase over time with personnel and their expertise becoming ever more valuable.
Subsea operators, technicians and technologists can look forward to an exciting future as the technology is advancing rapidly with subsea processing now becoming a reality. Subsea engineering is a highly complex engineering challenge and is technically very demanding. This program reflects this and requires students to be focused and prepared to achieve the necessary level of knowledge, skills and competency. Module one gives an introduction to the main concepts of offshore oil and gas process and production facilities. This includes types of offshore facilities, station-keeping methods and asset integrity strategies.
Module two discusses a number of types of equipment that are fundamental to successful subsea oil and gas operations. An introduction to the difficulties of working in a subsea environment, blowout prevention equipment and subsea control systems will all be covered. Module three aims to show how subsea projects are completed in industry. Construction, installation and maintenance will all be covered. Module four provides information about technological advancements in subsea engineering and the new strategies that are becoming more common within the industry.
MODULE 1: INTRODUCTION TO OFFSHORE OIL AND GAS FACILITIES
- Types of facilities and their uses
- Anchoring, mooring and dynamic positions systems
- Asset integrity
MODULE 2: SUBSEA OIL AND GAS EQUIPMENT
- Subsea trees and manifolds
- Subsea risers, flow lines and pipelines
- Subsurface/down hole safety equipment
- Connection systems and control data interfaces
MODULE 3: SUBSEAS CONSTRUCTION, INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE
- Fundamentals of subsea construction and installation
- The ocean environment
- Remotely operated vehicles and saturation diving
MODULE 4: NEW TECHNOLOGIES in SUBSEA ENGINEERING
- Subsea processing and RLWI
- FLNG and flow assurance
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of eLearning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Learning Support Officer for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of eLearning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT eLearning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Learning Support Officer.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.