- Course at a Glance
National Code - 52724WA
- Schedule Start Date: 9th April 2018
- Code: DCS
- Course Length: 24 Months
Join this interactive, LIVE ONLINE program, for 24 months part-time, to learn:
- Advanced skills and knowledge civil and structural engineering principles that can be applied in a variety of workplaces
- The essential underpinning knowledge that guides a range of projects, including road, rail and drainage systems, dams, harbours, bridges, buildings and other structures
- Practical skills in the design and drafting of engineering plans to international standards
- Skills in engineering management
KEY BENEFITS OF THIS PROGRAM:
- Receive practical guidance from civil and structural engineering experts with real world industry skills
- Gain credibility in your firm
- Develop new contacts in the industry
- Improve career prospects and income
Applications closing April 02, 2018.
Join the next generation of senior civil and structural engineering experts. Embrace a well paid, intensive yet enjoyable career by taking this comprehensive and practical course. It is delivered over 24 months by live distance learning and presented by some of the leading civil and structural engineering instructors in the world today.
Civil and structural engineering encompasses a range of disciplines, including road, rail and drainage systems, dams, harbours, bridges, buildings and other structures. Civil and structural designers and drafters plan, design, develop and manage construction and repair projects.
This qualification develops your skills and knowledge in the design and drafting of engineering plans to recognised standards. You will learn about different areas of civil engineering, including construction, project management, design and testing. You will also learn about the design and drafting of concrete, steelwork, roads and pipes, as well as hydrology, stormwater drainage and foundations.
While it is essential that those who work in the supervisory or management levels of this discipline have a firm understanding of drafting and planning principles, this qualification goes much further. To be effective on the job, you will need to know how to apply knowledge of fundamental civil and structural engineering concepts, including geotechnical engineering, hydraulic engineering, engineering maths, and properties of materials. Throughout the program this subject matter will be placed into the context of engineering management. Our aim is to ensure that you are an effective, knowledgeable and skilled supervisor or manager, someone who can work beyond a “plan and design” brief to ensure that a project is delivered effectively.
This qualification aims to provide theoretical and practical education and training such that graduates may gain employment at the engineering associate (“paraprofessional”) level within the building and construction industry.
There are eight threads in the course to give you maximum, practical coverage. These threads comprise environmental issues, engineering technologies, drawing, 2D and 3D CAD design, building materials, civil and structural sub-disciplines (roads, steel, concrete, pavement, drainage, soil, water supply, sewerage), construction sites and engineering management.
This program avoids too much emphasis on theory. This is rarely needed in the real world of industry where time is short and immediate results, with hard-hitting and useful know-how, are required as a minimal requirement. The instructors presenting this advanced diploma are highly experienced engineers from industry who have done the hard yards and worked in the civil and structural areas. The format of presentation — live, interactive distance learning with the use of remote learning technologies — means that you can hit the ground running and be of immediate benefit to your company or future employer.
Who Should Complete this Program
Anyone who wants to gain a solid working knowledge of the key elements of civil and structural engineering that can be applied at the supervisory and paraprofessional level. See “Entrance Requirements”
This program is particularly well suited to students for who on-campus attendance is less desirable than the flexibility offered by online delivery. When work, family and general lifestyle priorities need to be juggled this world class program becomes an attractive option to many students world-wide.
- Site Supervisors
- Senior Trades Managers
- Trades Workers
- Construction Managers
- Maintenance Engineers or Supervisors
- Leading hands
- Consulting Engineers
Even those who are highly qualified in civil and structural engineering may find it useful to attend to gain practical know-how.
This program is composed of 4 stages, delivered over 24 months. It is possible to achieve the advanced diploma qualification within the time period because the study mode is part-time intensive.
There are 8 threads around which the program is structured:
- Environmental issues
- Engineering technologies
- 2D and 3D CAD design
- Building materials
- Roads, steel, concrete, pavement, drainage, soil, water supply, sewerage
- Construction sites
- Engineering management
The stages will be completed in the following order:
- MEM16008A Interact with computing technology
- MEM16006A Organise and communicate information
- MEM30001A Use (CAD) system to produce basic engineering drawings
- MEM30002A Produce basic engineering graphics
- 41972 Use basic construction in engineering
- 41975 Use Basic Mathematics in Engineering
- 41980 Use physics in engineering
- 41981 Use statics in engineering
- 41978 Use materials in engineering
- MEM22002A Manage self in the engineering environment
- 41968 Produce basic concrete drawings
- 41969 Produce basic steel drawings
- 41976 Use basic soils in engineering
- 41974 Use basic fluids in engineering
- 41983 Use surveying in engineering
- 41982 Use strength of materials in engineering
- 41979 Use M athematics in Engineering
- MEM30004A Use (CAD) to create and display 3-D models
- MEM22007A Manage environmental effects of engineering activities
- VU21137 Produce advanced engineering drawings for a reinforced concrete structure
- VU21139 Produce advanced engineering drawings for a steel structure
- VU21142 Produce drawings to enable urban road construction
- VU21141 Produce engineering drawings for a rural road
- 41962 Use soils in engineering
- 41987 Use fluids in engineering
- 41960 Use basic structural analysis in engineering
- 41963 Use structural analysis in engineering
- 41984 Use 3D CAD in engineering
- VU21125 Apply construction principles to civil engineering works
- VU21143 Produce engineering drawings for a stormwater reticulation scheme
- VU21133 Produce an engineering design for a sewerage reticulation scheme
- VU21131 Produce an engineering drainage design of pipes and culverts
- VU21134 Produce an engineering design for a reinforced concrete structure
- VU21122 Produce an advanced engineering design for a reinforced concrete structure
- VU21135 Produce an engineering design for a steel structure
- VU21123 Produce an advanced engineering design for a steel structure
In order to maximise the benefit of this course, students choosing to study online should have at least a tertiary qualification in engineering (diploma or degree) and experience in related areas of engineering. Practical work experience in related areas of engineering would also assist with the acquiring of the advanced diploma material. However, without this background, but with some technical knowledge, some counselling and the necessary pre-course learning materials it is possible to be brought up to the appropriate level.
School leavers (17yo) are not recommended to do the online version (and are actively dissuaded); but an Academic Panel should review all applications received. It is possible that due to personal circumstances (e.g. located in a remote community), a blended solution for these type of school leavers could be provided.
Younger students (with some work experience) who are motivated to complete study online are welcome to apply but should be confident of their ability to remain focussed over the two year duration of the program. Pre-course counselling will be required for any school leaver opting for online delivery to ensure, as far as possible, that a high level of motivation and self-discipline is evident.
English language competency is required. The registration form completed by students interested in completing the Advanced Diploma course should contain a section to ensure that the student is cognisant of the requirement to understand spoken and written English and to communicate in English verbally and in writing.
If applicants do not meet the above requirements, applicants are welcome to apply in writing to the Admissions Academic Panel.
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of eLearning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Learning Support Officer for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of eLearning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT eLearning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Learning Support Officer.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.