Advanced Diploma of Plant Engineering
Course at a Glance
Course Name - Advanced Diploma of Plant Engineering
Course Code - DPE
VET Code - 52742WA
Qualification - Advanced Diploma
Duration - 18 Months
CEU/CPD* - on enquiry
IN THIS INTENSIVE PART-TIME 18-MONTH LIVE ONLINE PROGRAM YOU WILL GAIN:
- Skills and know-how in the latest technologies in all aspects of plant engineering
- Guidance from practicing plant engineering experts in the field
- Knowledge from the extensive experience of instructors, rather than from clinical information gained from books and college
- Improved career prospects and income
- An Advanced Diploma of Plant Engineering
The next intake starts on the week of September 18, 2017.
There are limited places available per intake.
Embrace a well paid, intensive yet enjoyable career by undertaking this comprehensive and practical course. It is delivered by live distance learning and presented by some of the leading Plant Engineering instructors in the world today. There is now a critical shortage of senior Plant Engineers around the world due to retirement, restructuring and rapid growth in new industries and technologies. Many industrial enterprises throughout the world comment on the difficulty in finding experienced Plant Engineers despite paying outstanding salaries. Often universities and colleges do not teach Plant engineering as a core subject. Much of the vital knowledge (e.g. practical maintenance planning and procedures) you need when commencing work as a qualified Plant Engineer is missing from their curricula. However, there are a few notable exceptions with some highly dedicated practitioners. Many of those universities and colleges that do teach Plant Engineering do so mainly from a theoretical point of view.
Furthermore, lecturers often have insufficient experience in industry due to the difficulty in attracting good engineers from the highly paid private sector. The aim of this 18 month eLearning program is to provide you with core Plant Engineering skills. The course gives extensive coverage in the various fields of Plant Engineering. Subjects are covered such as Plant Operations, Facility Management, Instrument Control Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, and Safety and Financial Management. Practical knowledge is not neglected; a Plant Engineer should also be well informed about metal forming, joining, heat treatment and protection.
This course avoids over emphasis on theory. This is rarely needed in the real industrial world where time is short and immediate results are required. Hard-hitting and useful know-how, are needed as minimum requirements. The format of presentation, live, interactive distance learning with the use of remote labs, means that you can hit the ground running and be of immediate benefit to your company or future employer.
Who Should Complete this Program?
Anyone who wants to gain solid knowledge of the key elements of Plant Engineering to improve their work skills and to further their job prospects:
- Electrical Engineers who need an overall Plant Engineering appreciation
- Maintenance Engineers and Supervisors
- Persons studying for one of the South African Engineers Certificates of Competency
- Automation and Process Engineers
- Design Engineers
- Project Managers
- Consulting Engineers
- Production Managers
- Chemical and Mechanical Engineers
- Instrument and Process Control Technicians
Even those who are highly experienced in Plant Engineering may find it useful to follow some of the topics to gain know-how in a very concentrated but practical format.
The course follows six engineering threads to provide you with maximum practical coverage in the field of Plant Engineering:
- Overview and where the Plant Engineer fits into the 21st century production sphere
- Engineering technologies in detail
- Skills for project, process, environmental and energy management
- Maintenance management
- Safety management; with corresponding legal knowledge
- Other necessary skills to master
The course is composed 19 modules. These modules cover a range of aspects to provide you with maximum practical coverage in the field of Plant Engineering.
The modules are:
- Introduction to Plant Engineering
- Plant Operations and Facility Management
- Electrical Equipment and Technology
- Pressure Vessels and Boilers
- Fundamentals of Professional Engineering
- Mechanical Equipment and Technology
- Fluid Power Systems and Components
- Pumps and Seals
- Thermodynamics, Compressors, Fans and Blowers
- Process Plant Layout and Piping Design
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
- Noise and Vibration
- Structural and Civil Engineering Concepts
- Process Management
- Energy Management
- Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- Maintenance Management
- Environmental Engineering
- Safety Management
The program features real-world applications and uses a blended approach involving interactive online webinars, simulation software and self-study assignments with a mentor on call. The course consists of 72 topics delivered over a period of 18 months. Presentations and group discussions will be conducted using a live, interactive software system. For each topic you will have an initial reading assignment (which will be delivered to you in electronic format in advance of the online presentations). There will be coursework or problems to be submitted and in some cases there will be practical exercises, using simulation software and remote labs that you can easily do from your home or office. You will have ongoing support from the instructors via phone and email.
The webinar schedule is not put together until after registrations close. The reason for this is that the program is promoted globally and we often have participants from several time zones. When you register, you will receive a questionnaire which will help us determine your availability. When all questionnaires are returned we create a schedule which will endeavour to meet everyone’s requirements. Each webinar runs 2 or 3 times during each presentation day and we try our best to ensure that at least one session falls into your requested time frames. This is not always possible, however, due to the range of locations of both instrcutors and students. If you are unable to attend the webinars scheduled, we do have some options available. Contact us for more details.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, we use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during the course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log and proceed through the various practical sessions. These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite handson experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered in the course and our practical exercises and remote laboratories ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from the course to succeed in your future career.
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of eLearning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Course Coordinator for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of eLearning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT eLearning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Course Coordinator.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
Contact Our Course Advisors
Click here to find out more.
In Company Online Training Solutions
Special class groups can be arranged on request to match your own schedule. If you have a large number of staff who should complete one of our programs, read more about our In Company Online Training HERE and contact us to assist you further.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.
What are the fees for my country?
The Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) provides distance education to students located almost anywhere in the world – it is one of the very few truly global training institutes. Course fees are paid in a currency that is determined by the student’s location. A full list of fees in a currency appropriate for every country would be complex to navigate and, with today’s exchange rate fluctuations, difficult to maintain. Instead we aim to give you a rapid response regarding fees that is customised to your individual circumstances.
We understand that cost is a major consideration before a student commences study. For a rapid reply to your enquiry regarding courses fees and payment options, please enquire via the below button and we will respond within 2 business days.
EIT Advanced Diploma Course Payment Options
Two payment options are available for the Advanced Diploma courses;
OPTION 1 - PAY UPFRONT
Pay total amount upfront to receive a 5% reduction in fees.
OPTION 2 - MONTHLY PAYMENTS BY CREDIT CARD
This option allows for even monthly payments. The first payment is required at least four weeks before the course starts, then one on the same date every month for the remaining period. For the duration of the program, you receive access to the complete electronic library of technical manuals published by IDC Technologies which contains over 160 manuals with more than 40,000 pages of useful content.
Discounts are available for group bookings
For a rapid reply to your query regarding course fees and payment options, please contact us with your name, email address, course title(s), and location using the form below, and we will respond within 2 business days.
- Advanced Diploma of Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Chemical Engineering and Plant Design
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Gas Turbine Engineering
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Mechanical Engineering
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Fundamentals of Process Plant Layout and Piping Design
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (HVAC)
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Onshore and Offshore Pipeline Systems
Mechanical Engineering encompasses the conceptualisation, design, manufacture, control and maintenance of machines ranging from a conveyer, space shuttle to nanotechnology based objects. In broad terms, mechanical engineering channels the energy and forces in nature to the service of people. The fields in which mechanical engineering professionals operate are wide - ranging from oil and gas, power generation, water utilities, process plants, mining, pharmaceuticals, manufacturing and defence.
A diploma in mechanical engineering is ideal for anyone wanting to get involved in the general engineering (whether design or maintenance) of large plants, especially as a plant engineer. Recently, mechanical engineering has begun to include many new systems in the electronics and control arena such as programmable logic controllers (PLCs) and SCADA as these are critical to the control of mechanical devices.
Students in the Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) School of Mechanical Engineering can study an Advanced Diploma of Mechanical Engineering with subjects that include: mechanics, structural engineering, drive systems, rotating equipment, hydraulics, pneumatics, lubrication engineering, HVAC, pumps, compressors, machinery safety, energy efficiency and renewable energy sources.
The focus in EIT's School of Mechanical Engineering is in providing students with both deep and broad skills in mechanical engineering technology, focusing on real systems. Whilst there is probably not a shortage of theoretically orientated practitioners in mechanical engineering, there is a need for highly skilled, practically oriented engineers, technologists and technicians, due to the rapidly increasing use of new technologies which are becoming a key component of all modern plants and equipment. Studying our mechanical engineering diploma online means you don't have to take extended periods away from existing work commitments.
Reviews & Frequently Asked Questions
Here is what some of our past students have said about this course:
"I enjoyed this course!" R.R. Ciesiolka (Australia)
"I would be so glad to hear that the course has a masters programme" G.P. Chiadzwa (Zimbabwe)
"Good instructor with good industrial knowledge and experience" J. Vorster (South Africa)
"As a Plant Engineer is sort of "jack of all trades" I would say the course content is alright, nothing needs to be taken out or rather as technology develops those extras should be introduced to the course to keep up to date with modern trends" C. Ndlovu (Botswana)
"What I liked most about the course were the materials" S.R. Fyfe (Norway)