Advanced Diploma of Electrical and Instrumentation (E & I) Engineering for Oil and Gas Facilities
Course at a Glance
Course Name - Advanced Diploma of Electrical and Instrumentation (E & I) Engineering for Oil and Gas Facilities
Course Code - DEI
VET Code - 52684WA
Qualification - Advanced Diploma
Duration - 18 Months
CEU/CPD* - on enquiry
IN THIS INTENSIVE, PART-TIME, 18-MONTH ONLINE PROGRAM YOU WILL GAIN:
- Skills and know-how in the latest technologies in E & I oil and gas engineering
- Tremendous boost to your E & I oil and gas career – no matter whether you are a new graduate or a technician
- Decades of real experience distilled into the course presentations and materials
- Guidance from real E & I oil and gas experts in the field
- Hands-on practical knowledge from the extensive experience of instructors, rather than the theoretical information from books and colleges
- Credibility as the local expert in E & I oil and gas
- Networking contacts in the oil and gas industry
- Improved career prospects and income
- An Advanced Diploma in Electrical & Instrumentation Engineering for Oil and Gas
The next intake starts on the week of September 26, 2017.
Payment is not required until approx. 4 weeks before the start of the program.
There is a growing shortage, and hence opportunity, for Electrical and Instrumentation (E & I) technicians, technologists and engineers in the oil and gas industry. This is due to an increasing need for higher technology methods of obtaining and processing oil and gas as it is a finite declining resource. The price of oil is heading upwards steadily, thus making personnel and their associated oil and gas expertise in these industries even more valuable. The technical challenges of extracting oil and gas are becoming ever more demanding, with increasing emphasis on more marginal fields and previously inaccessible zones such as deep oceans, Polar regions, Falkland Islands and Greenland. The aim of this 18-month e-learning program is to provide you with core E & I engineering skills so that these opportunities may be accessed, to enhance your career, and to benefit your firm.
This advanced diploma is presented by lecturers who are highly experienced engineers from industry, having 'worked in the trenches' in the various E & I engineering areas. When doing any course today, a mix of both extensive experience and teaching prowess is essential. All our lecturers have been carefully selected and are seasoned professionals.
This advanced diploma course provides a practical treatment of electrical power systems and instrumentation within the oil, gas, petrochemical and offshore industries. Whilst there is some theory this is used in a practical context giving you the necessary tools to ensure that the Electrical and Instrumentation hardware is delivering the results intended. No matter whether you are a new electrical, instrumentation or control technician/technologist/graduate engineer or indeed, even a practising facilities engineer, you will find this course beneficial in improving your understanding, skills and knowledge of the whole spectrum of activities ranging from basic E & I engineering to advanced practice including hazardous areas, data communications along with a vast array of E & I equipment utilised in an oil and gas environment.
Who Should Complete this Program?
This course would be ideal for you if you are seeking to get know-how and expertise in the oil and gas business and are an:
- Instrument and process control technician or technologist
- Instrument fitter
- Chemical or mechanical engineer
- Electrical engineer currently working in a different area to oil and gas
- Experienced electrician
- A recent graduate electrical, instrumentation or mechanical engineer
Even if you are highly experienced you will find this a great way to become familiar with the oil and gas technology as quickly as possible.
The valuable oil and gas course has five main streams:
- Electrical engineering
- Instrumentation and Control engineering
- General Oil and Gas engineering
- Subsea Instrumentation and Control
- Floating Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) Facilities
**A note regarding recognition of this course in the Australian education system: EIT’s sister company, IDC Technologies, is the owner of this course, which is officially accredited within the Australian Qualifications Framework by the Training Accreditation Council (WA). An application is to be submitted to the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) for this course to be registered for delivery by the EIT (that is, added to the EIT’s “scope”) in all Australian states. The EIT will deliver this course to students worldwide. On the date when the course information shown here was published the application to ASQA was pending, therefore the course commencement date shown is provisional pending formal registration with ASQA.
Learning and Teaching
Benefits of eLearning to Students
- Cost effective: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Interactive: live, interactive sessions let you communicate with your instructor and fellow students
- Flexible: short interactive sessions over the Internet which you can attend from your home or office. Learn while you earn!
- Practical: perform exercises by remotely accessing our labs and simulation software
- Expert instructors: instructors have extensive industry experience; they are not just 'academics'
- No geographical limits: learn from any location, all you need is an Internet connection
- Constant support: from your instructor(s) and a dedicated Course Coordinator for the complete duration of the course
- International insight: interact and network with participants from around the globe and gain valuable insight into international practice
Benefits of eLearning to Employers
- Lower training costs: no travel or accommodation necessary
- Less downtime: short webinars (60-90 minutes) and flexible training methods means less time away from work
- Retain employees: keep staff who may be considering a qualification as full time study
- Increase efficiency: improve your engineering or technical employees’ skills and knowledge
- International insight: students will have access to internationally based professional instructors and students
How Does it Work?
EIT eLearning courses involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional instructor, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from a dedicated Course Coordinator.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your course. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
Contact Our Course Advisors
Click here to contact us.
In Company Online Training Solutions
Special class groups can be arranged on request to match your own schedule. If you have a large number of staff who should complete one of our programs, read more about our In Company Online Training HERE and contact us to assist you further.
To access the detailed program brochure, please complete this form.
What are the fees for my country?
The Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) provides distance education to students located almost anywhere in the world – it is one of the very few truly global training institutes. Course fees are paid in a currency that is determined by the student’s location. A full list of fees in a currency appropriate for every country would be complex to navigate and, with today’s exchange rate fluctuations, difficult to maintain. Instead we aim to give you a rapid response regarding fees that is customised to your individual circumstances.
We understand that cost is a major consideration before a student commences study. For a rapid reply to your enquiry regarding courses fees and payment options, please enquire via the below button and we will respond within 2 business days.
EIT Advanced Diploma Course Payment Options
Two payment options are available for the Advanced Diploma courses;
OPTION 1 - PAY UPFRONT
Pay total amount upfront to receive a 5% reduction in fees.
OPTION 2 - MONTHLY PAYMENTS BY CREDIT CARD
This option allows for even monthly payments. The first payment is required at least four weeks before the course starts, then one on the same date every month for the remaining period. For the duration of the program, you receive access to the complete electronic library of technical manuals published by ID Technologies which contains over 160 manuals with more than 40,000 pages of useful content.
Discounts are available for group bookings
For a rapid reply to your query regarding course fees and payment options, please contact us with your name, email address, course title(s), and location using the form below, and we will respond within 2 business days.
More courses available from EIT's School of Industrial Automation and Electrical Engineering are listed below.
EIT's School of Industrial Automation
Accredited Postgraduate Programs
Accredited Diploma and Advanced Diploma Programs
- Advanced Diploma of Electrical and Instrumentation (E & I) Engineering in MiningI
- Advanced Diploma of Electrical and Instrumentation (E & I) Engineering for Oil and Gas FacilitiesI
- Advanced Diploma of Industrial AutomationI
- Advanced Diploma of Remote Engineering, Mechatronics and RoboticsI
Professional Development Series
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Allen Bradley Controllogix/Logix5000 PLC Platforms
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Best Practice in Process, Electrical & Instrumentation Drawings and Documentation
- Professional Certificate of Competency in CitectSCADA/VIJEO
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Control Valve Sizing, Selection and Maintenance
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Hazardous Areas and Intrinsic Safety for Engineers and Technicians
- Professional Certificate of Competency in IEC 61850 based Substation Automation
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Instrumentation, Automation and Process Control
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Machine Vision Applications in Industry
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Practical Boiler Control and Instrumentation for Engineers and Technicians
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Process Control Incorporating Loop Tuning and Advanced Control Strategies
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) and SCADA System
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Safety Instrumentation Systems for Process Industries
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Siemens S7 1200/TIA Portal
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Subsea Oil and Gas Technology
- Professional Certificate of Competency in the Selection, Commissioning and Maintenance of Shutdown, Blowdown, Severe Service and Choke Valves
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Wonderware InTouch HMI
In order to meet the exacting demands of the oil and gas, mining, manufacturing and downstream processing industries, modern plants are equipped with systems and devices which are needed to measure and regulate variables such as temperature, pressure, flow, humidity, liquid level, velocity and density. Industrial Automation provides the technology to control and monitor a process plant using such concepts as feedback, cascade, feedforward and advanced process control. Here at the Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT), we have developed industry-focused programs in the form of vocational diplomas, advanced diplomas and graduate certificates, all the way up to Masters level in the higher education sector.
There is a critical shortage of automation, instrumentation and control engineers, technicians and technologists around the world now due to the retirement, restructuring and rapid growth in new technologies and industries. The respected International Society of Automation (ISA) organization estimated that at least 15,000 new automation engineers are needed annually in the USA alone.
In keeping with the philosophy of EIT, students in this school are exposed to the practical, up-to-the-minute knowledge and skills demanded by leading industries worldwide, with online instrumentation courses. EIT does not just cater to a generic student body, instead all of our online instrumentation courses are specific to industry. The programs cover a large range of topics and are suited to anyone needing an intensive and practical look at all facets of industrial automation, instrumentation and process control.
The short courses that form part of EIT's professional development series are designed to provide students with critical knowledge and practical tools that can be immediately applied to the workplace. They are ideal to up-skill and/or cross-skill in a particular area or technology and are not accredited programs.
Students in EIT's School of Industrial Automation, Instrumentation and Process Control study subjects which include: process control, instrumentation, control valves, process plant layout and piping design, tuning of process loops, SCADA, PLCs, advanced process control (APC), boiler control, hazardous areas, safety instrumentation (IEC 61511 and IEC 61508), HAZOPs, industrial data communications, networking, deviceNet and Fieldbus, industrial wireless, radio telemetry systems, shielding/EMC/EMI, and noise reduction.
EIT's School of Electrical Engineering
Accredited Postgraduate Programs
- Master of Engineering (Electrical Systems) II
- Graduate Certificate of Renewable Energy Technologies I
Accredited Diploma and Advanced Diploma Programs
- Advanced Diploma of Applied Electrical Engineering (Electrical Systems) I
- Advanced Diploma of Applied Electrical Engineering (Power Industry) I
- Advanced Diploma of Electrical and Instrumentation (E & I) Engineering for Oil and Gas Facilities I
- Advanced Diploma of Electrical and Instrumentation (E & I) Engineering for Mining I
- Diploma and Advanced Diploma of ESI UET50212 and UET60212 I
Professional Development Series
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Best Practice in Electrical Engineering in Mining, Building, Industry and Utilities
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Circuit Breakers, Switchgear and Power Transformers – Safe operation and Maintenance
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Arc Flash Protection
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Electrical Power System Fundamentals for Non-Electrical Engineers
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Operation and Maintenance of Diesel Power Generating Plants
- Professional Certificate of Competency in Power Distribution
- Professional Certificate of Competency in AS3000:2007 Electrical Wiring Rules (Australia and New Zealand only)
There is scarcely an aspect of modern life that is not dependent on electrical energy. It is used in such varied activities as cooling, heating, transport, manufacturing, production, communications, minerals processing and water transfer. Engineers and technicians with an electrical diploma find employment in fields as diverse as generation, transmission, distribution and the eventual application of electrical energy in machinery. Due to the challenges of climate change there is also a vital interest in the use and storage of renewable and sustainable energy. The demand for well trained electrical professionals is assured with rapid expansion of the electricity supply in the developing world, the addition of the yet-to-be-constructed smart grid, and our growing dependency upon electricity supply of high integrity.
Electrical engineering skills and knowledge are also critical in a wide range of industries ranging from oil and gas, water utilities, process plants, mining, pharmaceuticals, manufacturing and defence. The Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) provides electrical engineering courses online for engineers and technicians of all levels and from all types of industry, be it mining, oil and gas or instrumentation. The Advanced Diplomas in Electrical Engineering cover a large range of topics and are suited to anyone needing an intensive and practical look at all facets of electrical engineering. The short courses that form part of EIT's professional development series are designed to provide students with critical knowledge and practical tools that can be immediately applied to the workplace. They are ideal to up-skill and/or cross-skill in a particular area or technology.
Key subjects in the EIT School of Electrical Engineering include: power generation, transmission, distribution, rotating machinery, power electronics, earthing and safety regulations, electrical documentation and drawings, AC and DC machines, circuit breakers, transformers, energy efficiency, earthing (or grounding) and lightning, power systems protection, DC and AC emergency power supplies, electrical wiring regulations, high voltage supplies, and power quality.
I: Vocational Education & Training (VET) program
II: Higher Education program
Frequently Asked Questions
Dean of Engineering, Dr Steve Mackay, gives insight into the Advanced Diploma of Electrical and Instrumentation (E&I) Engineering for Oil and Gas Facilities:
Complete Two Advanced Diplomas Simultaneously
Hear from Frank, based on site in Malaysia, talk to EIT’s Senior Course Advisor Ric Harrison in Australia. Frank is a student of EIT's Advanced Diploma of E & I Engineering for Oil and Gas Facilities and the Advanced Diploma of Industrial Automation – hear how Frank balanced the studying of both EIT programs here.
Questions? Click here to view our Frequently Asked Questions.